Hagerty.com

The worst cars you drove on your driver’s exams

Getting a driver’s license is a ticket to freedom and exploration, but you must first pass the exam that shows you can safely operate a vehicle. There are good and bad vehicle choices for the exam, and some of our members on the Hagerty Forums had a rougher time than others. Read their stories here. Here are some of the worst vehicles to take a driver’s test in, according our readers.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/29/worst-cars-to-take-your-drivers-exams

1978 Ford LTD it was a huge barge with a 351M that could do some awesome burnouts . I failed the first time because I was stopped at light waiting on the oncoming traffic to clear so I could turn left and while I was waiting the light changed to red and I didnt notice it. The tester said I would have passed if not for that.

1 Like

In 1968 I drove our family 1959 Rambler station wagon to a passing grade. It had push button transmission, no power steering, no power brakes, and no air conditioning (in the summer in Florida). It was an ungainly beast, to say the least! Much of it was comprised of Bondo patches that my father had applied following my mother’s adventures with the car. Since I also subsequently drove it on my first dates, it remains the best/worst car I can ever remember driving!

1 Like

Mine was in my mom’s 1972 Plymouth Fury III, turquoise with black vinyl top and I think a 360, but probably a 318. What a huge, sloppy, beast but at 16, it was wheels!

1 Like

I used a 1970 Chrysler Imperial La Barron the instructor was impressed when he had me parallel park it and i passed the first time.

1 Like

How about a friends 1976 Pacer all windowed space ship. I will say this I had great vision out of it and passed!

It was my neighbor’s 1965 Grand Prix. I was 17. I left my apartment that morning and to my shagrin my ‘65 LeMans 326, 4bbl, Edelbrock, T10 4spd, 2dr hard top was unresponsive to the turn of the key. I still love that car. Long gone but not forgotten. It was the car I drove solo to and from my drivers ed classes.
The neighbor’s Grand Prix was a boat compared to my LeMans but the only mark down on my test was parallel parking.

1 Like

Got to drive the family new 1970 Ford LTD 4dr. My dad thought it would look better to the tester than the 65 Mustang I had learned on. The clerk gave us a hard time because I only had a SS card, school ID and the permit for ID. Said I needed 3 forms of ID and the permit doesn’t count☹️. Don’t walk around with birth certificate much and already used that to get the permit with the state instruction process. In high school what does any kid have? Next clerk over motioned us over and processed me no problem hinting to pull to the right for the T turn test. Passed everything 100%. Went back to same office 4 years later to renew and both clerks were still there. Watched the same process unfold while waiting my turn to renew…

1 Like

Learned in drivers ed in high school on a new 1962 Pontiac Catalina automatic white with blue interior(nice)…Took drivers test in family’s 1954 Chevy 4 door red/white…, 3 on the tree… Passed first time… Did not even burn out the clutch on stopping on a hill…amazing…good ol days

1 Like

My road test in 1966, was with my parent’s 1963 Ford Country Sedan 9-pass. station wagon, 260 V8 with 3 on the tree…like piloting a boat in a kiddie pool. But, I passed, on my 1st attempt. My parents were almost as surprised as I was.

1 Like

My road test was in a 1966 Pontiac Catalina ( it was brand new). My aunt drove the car to the road test site. She was in her early 20’s and exceptionally beautiful. During the road test she sat in the back seat. The test examiner was completely turned around and spent the entire test talking to her. He never watched what I was doing. I passed on my first attempt.

1 Like

1957 Jaguar XK 150 Convertible in 1965. (Worst Car?) What I did not know at the time was that life would not get any better.

1971 forest green Chevy Nova,307,power-glide auto,four door, AM radio.It was also the first car I drove,ugly but it would fly,a sleeper.

1 Like

I drove a 63 Chevrolet Station Wagon No Power Steering never had a bit of Trouble parting passed with flying colors and I was just a lil guy of 104 pounds and 5.8 tall besides that it was a 3 on the tree loved that old wagon wish I still had it

1 Like

63 Galaxy 500 with a 351. State cop was my examiner. He got in the car, tuned in the baseball game on the AM radio, and told me to drive around the block. 2 minutes

1 Like

1976 Chevy Malibu wagon, blue, 305, base model, in a snowstorm. Failed because I stayed in the left lane after turning left onto a four-lane surface street, reasoning to myself that the examiner would have me turn left again soon to get back to the test centre instead of continuing on the flyover southbound over the CNR tracks with no quick way back. Was so devastated that I had failed that I could not articulate to the examiner why I had stayed in the left lane, even after he told me that if it wasn’t for that, I would have passed! Not really a bad car, just huge and wallowy, esp for a test in a snowstorm. At least I did not have to parallel park it, on account of all the snow…

Man, all these submissions certainly make mine look so very boring. …1986 Audi 5000. In my defense though it was a stick shift that could chirp the tires going into 2nd, a feature I chose not to show the instructor.

1 Like

1980 Chevette with a 4 sp manual. The instructor took me up a street in our town that was about a 30% grade. He must have had a lot of confidence that I would pull out on that hill, because if we had rolled back it would have been bad. After This was a couple days after I turned 16. After I completed the car part I took the motorcycle part on a 1975 Yamaha RD350 2 stroke, that had straight pipes, it was loud and smoked. The instructor was glad to get rid of me.

1 Like

I drove my family’s 1961 Ford Station Wagon for my driving test. It was bright red with a tan vinyl interior and had a three speed manual transmission on the steering column. No power steering either, as it was used as a delivery vehicle for my family’s business. Had already taken a Driver’s Education course in my high school in a four door Chevy sedan. Passed the test on my first try.

Wow!! I learned to drive and did my road test in a 1978 Dark Jade Metallic Ford Thunderbird with a
6.6L 400CID V8. Ahhhh the memories!!