Hagerty.com

These are the 7 hottest muscle cars of 2018

Hey Hardhattg…LMFAO! What BS! Lol

I agree with the comments of comparing apples and oranges. If you drive, sit in, or just look at an old school muscle car for 1minute or 30 minutes, it will definitely take you back in time, bring back memories (places, friends, parents, jobs, road trips, military high school etc). The times were not perfect, but those memories when they pop up I use them as a measuring rod to gauge my travel through time. Which give me a chance to reflect on the training I received back in the days of the muscle cars as compared to the cars and training of today. I still come to the same conclusion as mentioned by many of the other responses: “Apples and Oranges are different”.

Look I’m an old 61 year old Guy now, from India , but living in U.K. My large Classic car Collection started 42 years back, and straddles all types of cars. Like they say you’ll always remember your first Love, and so it came to pass that the first cars I owned that could blow the doors off anything else off the road, “that I could afford”, when I was 18-19 years old, and looked truly sensational as well, were MUSCLE CARS! They were cheap as chips at that time and didn’t command the sort of prices you see now! Biggest Bang for your Buck!
I still drive them occasionally now, and the sort of sensation they give is totally different to the other cars in my Collection, some of which are far faster, far better handling, or what have you.
Considering I now have such powerhouses as a 673 BHP 599 GTO Hamann Special, a Unique 1990’s 600BHP Aston Extra Widebody V600 Vantage Volante (Twin Suoercharged), 1980’s 6.3L Rare RS Williams engine 500BHP Aston X Pack Manual Vantage Volante, 1989 ‘Zilla 700 BHP 4WD 4WS GTR 32 TT, a Rare Widebody 614 BHP DTM CLK Cabriolet, amongst others; BUT I still find time for my White 1969 Camaro SS 396ci Convertible, my Black 1970 ‘Cuda 383ci Convertible, 71 LT1 Vette, SD Bullnose TransAm, ( I’ve had these for 40+ years). I don’t Class my 46 Chevy Coupe 1,200 BHP as a Muscle Car , But a Street “Brawler” Rod!

@daddyo.nj Yes, I had to have them too. At least I thought so. All the Ferraris up from 430, 458, and the Porsches 991 Turbo S and and and… Sad for me, since riding a Porsche Cup, now a 991.2, during long endurance on the Nurburgring, I have completely lost appetite for all the latest Supercars. I did not expect this, and in first place I was in denial. Proof came when crossing my sons garage flooded with new GT2 RS and 812 Superwhatever. I did not even ask for the keys. But I cannot wait for the delivery in January of an old VW Golf from 1991 which currently is mildly restored to make it a frequent driver on sunny days. Now you ask what all this has to do with muscle cars? Many years back, I owned a 69 GTO. It never ever let me down and just remembering turning the key and letting the power down the cables and starting that monster, that makes me shivering. This gargle was to die for. It’s from a time when less gimmicks meant more car. Think about and enjoy your cars.

Hagerty are you sure? No Corvettes on your list? I think they would be hotter for folks buying muscle cars for 2018 than a Pontiac G8. I don’t even remember seeing a Pontiac G8 on the roads of L.I. all year!

If I read this article correctly, it represents the amount of insurance activity Hagerty experienced throughout 2018, and these seven cars had that highest amount of activity (new policies, increased coverage, etc.) in their underwriting department. It does not mean that these cars are the hottest antique or classic cars on the market. I was personally surprised to see the GTO as the number one car for 2018 - as I do own a low mileage 2005. I also own a super low mileage, 95% stock, 1987 Grand National.
When my wife and I take the cars to local shows, the GTO gets the majority of the looks. A number of older gentleman mock the GN - because it’s a “V6”, I also constantly get told (by the judges and so call experts) - “it’s a nice Monte Carlo, but son it’s nothing special”. On the other hand, my GTO has taken home trophies (1980’s and newer class) because the same judges say “there is no substitute for cubic inches”. In my humble opinion GN will always be worth more than the 2005 GTO - and it’s not on the list. I think that some people just need to understand that the late 60’s early 70’s big block cars will always have value - but times and trends change - and the cars displayed on this list are actually still affordable for the blue collar guys.

Irrational exuberance. A cast iron, pushrod v8 mounted in front of the driver is what we’re talking about here, not old-guy money chasing the long-gone thrill of being 18 (again).

I have a P-51D. That’s thrilling, but I’m still 60.

@cardad93 - You are correct, our new policies, quotes and endorsements to increase coverage on currently covered cars is part of the criteria.

But also included is market activity- auction sales, private sales, and dealer commentary. We make this list based on a well rounded data set.

Oh, come on. We would have a blast spending the day together at Barrett Jackson. I might say that a Rambler SCrambler was a great muscle machine and you might say that it was butt ugly. I might say that a 928 was more Super Car than muscle and you would draw my attention to a Turbo Supra that could eat it alive. I might draw your attention to a GTE Cougar and you would say it was the last car Ford put a 427 side Oiler in…

Ha! Fun!

This year will be my 5th time going, and we probably would. It is always fun. And trust me, I do appreciate the old stuff, I happen to have a 69 Pontiac (as you can tell, I have plans for a G8 one day). I will say that I am a bit saddened at how jaded one can become when attending those events though. Takes a 69 ZL1 Camaro to make me giddy when a Z/28 used to do the trick.

Really? a ferrari 458 italia? On Detroit streets? what possible FUN can that be? with its PADDLE shifter? only Germanys Autobahn can make that car fun. In the US, where you are hard pressed to get over 100mph, but can LIGHT -EM-UP at any stop light, the RA IV GTO will spank that Ferrari in FUN FACTOR Every day, and if you want a daily driver, get the HELLCAT! in fact get 4 hellcats for 1 ferrari and have fun all the way to 190mph if you actually think you can find a road where its possible…until then… do a wheelie in a Demon or a GTO RAIV

If I may add, a few years earlier back in 1965 my parents bought their first new car a Chrysler New Yorker. I was 14 at the time and my dad religiously took it to the dealer for oil changes, etc. On one occasion I heard this rumble sound entering the service area. The manager told me, as I watched this light tan dodge station wagon pull past me, that it had a 426 in it. Being impressionable at that age I asked what was special about the 426 when the New Yorker had a 413. He smiled and said it was a sleeper as it was a Stage 2 or 3 Max Wedge engine and the owner comes in every couple of months and buys speed parts for it. If the car was parked you could walk by it and never give it even a look until he turned over the engine. From that day forward I was a convert and a mopar fanatic.
Over the years I’ve owned 4-69 Chargers; a Daytona, RT/SE, a 383 4 bbl and a 318. The first 2 were the last ones I bought and will be with me till I pass away.
But I will never forget the experience and event of seeing that Max Wedge station wagon.

Me too. I walk right by a GSX when I used to swoon.

Cheers!

To me, the muscle car area was defined by the 60’s and 70’s. This was the time when the horsepower god first appeared on the scene. While still important, the muscle car of today incorporates other factors, such as handling, stopping etc… My selections would be from that early era.

Now THAT is great story !

Here’s for the 1968 Dodge Charger RT. Despite only having it 6 months when it was stolen and used to cut down a clump of small trees, the one car I miss (even though it had an automatic) was my 1968 Charger RT, 375HP/440. It could have been rebuilt, but circa 1978 it was only worth $500. Who knew a decade later it would be a $50,000 car and the value rising!.! Of note for the movie Bullitt they had to detune the Charger RT’s suspension so that that performance modified Mustang could keep close enough for filming.

Both of you are right. US Muscle cars are visceral. Owning a 70 Boss 302 was fantastic, my 65 and 67 GTO’s were very quick for their time, my 72 Pantera (by Mercury :wink:) was the one car I regret selling. Would I buy them back you bet without hesitation!! I am the present curator of a Ferrari 360 Modena, Porsche Carrera, an SL 55 AMG and the brute is my Dodge Daytona Hemi wing and all. Beauty, reliability, the animal and my brute. Each one offer a different visceral experience. We should be as lucky as Jay Leno to be able to have all those cars and drive them all the time…

completely different cars you’re comparing makes you come across as a moron or a troll (or both)

he’s just trolling. why come on Hagerty and say stupid crap like that

I have only one on the list. A 2000 HP 69 PRO Street Charger, but I love all cars pre 70’s. I strongly believe newer cars do not belong on the list. 25-30 year old minimum and then that era doesn’t really have many models that could qualify as classic by any sense. Like most of life in general, everything started to lose its luster after the 60’s. America peaked and so did her cars.