Hagerty.com

These are the 7 hottest muscle cars of 2018

I always thought the 2004-2006 GTO was good-looking, in a subtle way. I never understood those who thought it ugly. The market may be coming around to agree with me now.

I sometimes wish I had bought one when they were closing them out at fire-sale prices back then, but the small (7 cubic foot, I believe) trunk was a deal-killer for a car that would have had to be used for family travel and vacations. And, my wife - who was fine with manual transmissions and only two doors - would not have the car, without a moonroof option (which I kind of agree with). This was an option on the Monaro, I have heard; don’t know why it never made it to the GTO.

You show and discuss the Torino GT Fastback, what about my 1968 Mercury Cyclone GT Fastback ?

Thats because they go so fast you can’t see 'em…:rofl:

Is the 2009 Pontiac G8 the same car as the 2016 Chev SS? If so, what does this mean for the Chev ss in 7 years? Will it be a fast-tracked collectible? Is the Pontiac G8 only collectible because they don’t exist anymore ?

@andrewsots They are based on the same frame and the same Australian parent car. I watch the G8 for the Hagerty Price Guide and I think that the fact that Pontiac is defunct has some driving force, but I also think that the fact that it is a decent looking, 400+ hp, RWD sedan that is relatively uncommon helps conductibility. Looking at the asking prices for the SS, I’d say that unless we’re talking about one that was daily driven, I don’t think we’re going to see much depreciation on these. I think that they’re going to hold value in the short term than the G8, just because everyone is aware of what they are, where I think the G8 was forgotten for a while.

Surprised to see the GTO as #1, but I’m glad. I owned a black 2004 with a 6 speed for about 7 years and 118k miles and it was a great car. Fast and very comfortable. Their short run, street cred, and defunct brand is probably giving them a push.

They do get a lot of trash for their “non retro” styling, but people forget they were based on a car developed in the late 90s when retro wasn’t quite in and the styling of the day was more rounded. They still looked nice and with a few tasteful mods, even better. I do miss the days when a new model meant new styling…not just harkening back to another time. If we always kept that design philosophy, cars would never change. I always thought of the 04-06 GTO as a cross between an M3 and a Trans Am. More of a European GT car, but still definitely worthy of the GTO name.

I know it isn’t a popular opinion, but I 100% agree with you.

A muscle car was simply the most powerful engine a company made put into a smaller package .

So, by your definition, the GTO is a muscle car since it received the LS2, which was GM’s most powerful engine at the time.

I think most of you guys are missing the point of this article. It never stated that these were the most POPULAR, DESIRABLE, FASTEST and BEST LOOKING cars of 2018. This list rates the number of quotes, insured units by Hagerty and real time prices of vehicles that have exchanged hands at auctions. Obviously there is some attraction to all of them. As the owner of 2 2006 GTO’s I agree they’re not the best looking cars in my stable, but it sure is a blast to drive! Each day that passes it’s starting to look more like an E46 BMW:wink:

I know that stats don’t lie but I’m a bit dismayed that none of the several late 60’s early 70’s Mustangs didn’t make the cut! Boss, Shelby, Cobra Jet, 351 Cleveland?

Both cars had modified suspensions to handle the San Fran terrain. What is most significant is that the Mustang’s engine was modified to keep up with the stock 440 in the Charger.

The Super Bee had a 383/335.

The wagon you’re talking about had a 383/330. Not quite the same engine, but point taken.

I would wonder as well, although the list is of what sold, I guess. The '70 GSX is a beast as anyone who ever raced against one knows. Probably did not sell enough of them this year to rank higher, I would guess. I bought these cars new in the day, and get out of my way unless you had an LS6 or a 1000 lb lighter 427 'Vette. Hemi? Check out my huge rear bumper as I leave you in the dust…

No worries; Buick guys and gals love being seen as driving “daddy” cars until we blow you away. 550 lb ft of torque helps make up for the heavy car. Fun for the whole family!

UGH! Knew I should’ve bought that 2004 GTO I saw for sale a couple weeks ago. :frowning_face:

Right you are!

I had another friend whose mommy ordered a 1965 GTO with a 389 2 barrel and single exhaust with auto. Yes. You could do that. Muscle car?

@mikewilson - You probably could order a GTO that way, but that doesn’t mean you should! Sounds like a sad GTO.

2bbl. GTO only in 1967-69 for the 400.

As I read not long ago (forget where) they put smaller tires (from stock) on the Charger to force it to slow down through the turns. Stock it was not only faster, it out handled the Mustang!

Reading these previous comments is quite interesting . They all have their own merit and I can appreciate that . Just thought I’d put this out there . I drive a 1970 Hemi Roadrunner 4-speed ( one of 7 sent to Canada car ) I’ve been in a lot of fast cars but there’s nothing like the feeling when all 8 barrels are open at 6000 rpm’s.

You can’t compare Porsche or Ferrari to the muscle cars mentioned…they are in a different category price wise…I myself would never own Porsche or Ferrari because I don’t think one is getting there money’s worth for street use…of course they look great…but the price of service for these cars is not worth it…ultra high price for what?..I have been at both dealerships in the past and almost all the people that drive these cars “lease them”…I wonder why?..Good investment?..Almost all the cars at the Ferrari Showroom are used when i was there…with 4-10 thousand miles at the most…customers already turned them in???.. and one was almost 20 years old !..Where were all the new ones?..Most customers that drive these ultra high priced sports cars don’t have a clue on what they just bought…just that it’s a Ferrari or Porsche and I’ll be noticed with prestige…
As an investment the " american cars " are better because fixing them in most cases is very reasonable…any ultra high price car…unless one doesn’t drive it… is no long term investment…Why?..because “most” will not spend the ultra high price money on repairs for older used exotics…of course there are always exceptions…Sure they drive better…at that price for Ferrari and Porsche one should get a better car…in my opinion…it’s not worth it !
One is better off with American Muscle as part of a portfolio investment…in most cases if one buys right…you won’t lose your shirt in the long run…