Hagerty.com

These are the 7 hottest muscle cars of 2018

I always thought that the muscle car Era was from the introduction of big blocks for stock car racing and is a rather short period between 1963

and 1973…

Why does this article have cars from outside this time period as they weren’t the cars that coined the term “muscle cars”

Kind of hard to deny that we are in the midst of a muscle car revival. The GTO and the Guys might not be the most powerful out there today but they fit the genre

As an owner of a 1968 Chevelle SS I am mystified by the fact that this model year doesn’t seem to exist in the eye’s of Hagerty’s evaluation nor by many other publications such as in Hemming’s. Being an all new design in the Chevrolet Chevelle line up and very similar to the 69 model, I’d like to know why my car lacks desirability?

Hi Ken, I’m on Hagerty’s Valuation team. I wouldn’t say that your Chevelle lacks desirability. I peer review our Chevelle pricing every round and the trouble is that we do not see many quality examples of these on the market. I think it is a 1968 thing as I personally review 4-4-2’s and GTO’s and see a distinct lack of good examples for those models as well. Overall, the market on 68-72 A-Bodies has been a bit slow for a while. Can’t say why, but the really good stuff hasn’t been coming up for sale.

IN Phoenix, AZ your 68 Chevelle is pretty much the same value as a 69 Chevelle the is comparably equipped. They are NICE cars.
I have a 71 Skylark, which is KIND OF LIKE it’s sister car although a lot lower in horsepower as it is a 8.5 to 1 motor. But they are all “A Bodies” from 68 to 72, your Pontiac GTO/Lemans, Olds Cutlass/442, Buick Skylark/GS, and of course Chevelle/SS.
Enjoy your ride.

I had a 69 Charger with the 383-4barrel engine (330 HP). IT was just as fine as any 383 Magnum that was stock. Not much to compare really. the stock 4v motor didnt’ have the oil pan windage tray. it still had the 440 heads and the cast iron exhaust that was “headers type”. when I rebuilt mine, nobody could tell me was a 383-4v cam was so I ended up with “purple shaft mopar performance magnum cam” and I put int he windage tray.
Later, I put a 440 / 500 cube stroker in it. It ran 11.73 at 113 with 3.23 gears and the factory air on , on a PHONY quarter mile on a chassis dynomometer. I was happy with that.
Sorry I sold the car and it went to Holland. Have the 71 skylark now. One thing I can say, the skylark will pass a gas station!!!.

Thank you for your feedback!. Still mystified that you’d say there aren’t many ‘good’ examples out there as mentioned? Lots of every other model year based on Hemming’s online publication? Like anything else, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like the 1969 Chevelle’s grille and tail light assemblies more than what was designed for 1968 but most everything else is pretty much identical.

I still can’t help but think that my model year is unpopular amongst the Chevelle loving crowd. Guess I have no choice but to turn the other cheek and count my blessings for having a meticulously restored Chevelle which ‘some’ would die to have in their garage.

Thank you for the encouraging feedback. I’ll keep on appreciating my model year for what it’s worth!