Hagerty.com

These cars are the biggest winners and losers of the 2018 collector market

The classic car world goes through phases. As tastes change and new people start participating in the hobby, the landscape shifts in response. (That’s why Hagerty updates prices three times per year; values are always moving.) This past year was mostly all about trucks—lots of upward movement for C10s, Broncos, Jeeps, and the like. But we looked even deeper to understand what vehicles shot up the most, and which took the hardest hits in 2018. Here are the five cars with the biggest movement up and the biggest movement down for the year.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/12/18/2018-winners-and-losers

Interesting in terms of a general wide array of collector cars values in the last year. But it is pretty far fetched information in terms of having cars valued at less than $10,000 grouped in with cars into the multi millions. Maybe do a separate list for ± collector cars worth than say $20,000. If I am the only one here who is not very wealthy I apologize for my being a relatively low income car guy.

@pfranklin - This article is the overall look at the large shifts, we will look at an under $20k list in the future. That is a good idea. You are certainly not the only non-millionaire car enthusiast. I fall into that class too! (by a lot)

I agree with the bracket of lower income classic cars. However I do believe every car should be brought to light as far as how the market is today. I too, am a lower income car enthusiast:) I would love to hear the value of the gen 3 corvette this year. I’ve got a fully restored 71’ ls5 that I’m trying to sell now. Ha ha !!! Happy holidays car guys !

Hagerty has something against the range rover classic! Get on board everyone. Biggest winner this year was the 1995 range rover classic! Up over 100% and moving up daily

Boy am I ever glad I decided on the M-B CLK GTR instead of that silly McLaren P1. As a retired guy on a fixed income I could barely scrape the additional $900K together. Whew!

While one year comps are interresting they tend to be more of interrest to short term buyers/sellers. My understanding and my own involvement in this market is more long term and I would like to see an analysis that covers a multi-year period, lets say 3-5 years. This would eliminate shorter market fluctuations and adjustments in the market.
I agree with previous comments that the list should seperate cars into various price groups or ranges such that the focus is not on pecantage-point variations only.
I suggest 5 different price ranges:
$1 -20.000
$20,001 - 50,000
$50,001 - 100,000
$100,001-250,000
$250,001>
As a small car and motorcycle investor and a customer of Hagerty I have experienced huge difference in market fluctuations between the various price ranges, and they are not necessarily consistent between each other.
I hope some of you have constructive comments to my thoughts both positive and negative.
Fellow car enthusiast,
Georgetown, TX

Way to go Mazda!
Not sure if I should feel guilty about aftermarket items on my Miata.

Interesting list. I think that market values cars by trend. Therefore, one year Porsche come up very strong. Then, market feels it is overvalued, and look for McLarens. Then McLaren is too expensive and no more trendy, and we all look for Ferrari, or barn finds… or whatever market dictates. Till we find a new tendency, and let those past icons fall. So,one has to be alert if he invests, or collects and not buy what market says, but each ones heart.

I think the BMW 850i should have made the list. Prices doubled in North America and even more in Europe.

Wow, quite an interesting list. It is refreshing to see some obtainable Mazdas on the list. I own an all optioned, 1986 Nissan 300ZX which I love for it’s summer fun driving quotient and dependability. I also am in negotiation for a mid 90’s Mazda RX-7 which has been sitting outside for a couple of years and would be a long term project. My bottom line price has now gone up a few hundred dollars thanks to Hagerty’s, kind of!

Yippee! I purchased a early model (May 78) 1979 RX7 in 2017. It’s a Sonic Bronze RX7 in excellent condition with sub 50k miles for $7500. I finally got on the right side of collectable car purchase.

I am old enough to remember when the definition of classic collector cars were only American cars from the 30’s, 40’s and up through the 70’s, not exotic multi-million dollar limited edition Italian sports cars. Are we now including any and all types, brands, and price points in the mix? Those types of exotics are not, and should not be included for the hobbyist who loves restoring, showing , and yes, driving his classic Ford, Chevy, Mopar, and like vehicle. Hagerty, I am disappointed in the direction you are going.

I’m not as concerned about the price or the country of origin as I am the age of the car. I personally don’t think that anything newer than 1985 qualifies as “classic.”

@pfranklin - I dunno, having my old Miata in the same company as that bonkers CLK GTR isn’t so bad.

I can see your point about exotics since those are in another realm altogether and were very rare when new. But classic cars aren’t only American makes. There are some great vehicles from both the European and Asian makers that are just as deserving as Ford, Chevy, and Mopar to be considered classics. At the shows I went to this past summer people were walking past the overly familiar '57 Chevy Bel Air or '68 Camaro to look at early 70s BMW 2002 or Datsun Z, or even 80s-90s Japanese and European cars since a lot of current auto enthusiasts recognize those cars from their youth. I will always appreciate and respect classic American iron but there’s room for others. And remember, the 20-year age that generally defines “classic” moves every year. (Maybe we need a new level to define cars that are 50+ years old…vintage?)

Save your money car guys and gals. With the looming recession, you should have an opportunity to get a deal on a ride you’ll like in the next 12-24 months. Spend your money on something fun instead of watching the cowboys ride in to the stock market, round 'em up, and take half your retirement with 'em! Yee-ha!

Each year, we are reminded just how dumb we were to sell that dusty old ride or to fail to negotiate that extra hundred bucks on someone else’s. While I agree that it’d be nice if Grandpa left me a 1955 Jaguar D-Type, I’m secure in knowing that my humble Land Cruiser is really quite cool, no matter that it has never been on Hagerty’s cover. ENJOY the car you have and build a collection you LOVE. Don’t waste time trying to time the market or anticipate the whims of the day-traders. You’ll sleep better.

A “Classic” (big C) is defined by the CCCA, they’ve got a bunch of rules on their website you can read. A “classic” (little c) is a bit more fluid. I think any car beyond 10 years of age can be considered a classic in the right situation. However this article doesn’t focus on classics (of any C size) but rather Collector Cars (hey did you even bother to read the title?) and that’s exactly what every one of these is, from the little Miata to 2 of the most iconic supercars ever, they’re all collector cars.