Hagerty.com

This 1973 2.0-liter survivor is a testament to the Mercury Capri’s goodness

A car is only original once. It’s true for today’s new models and true for this unrestored, two-owner 1973 Mercury (Ford) Capri. Powered by the 2.0-liter single-overhead-cam four-cylinder engine familiar to Ford Pinto owners, it’s owned by vintage racer Ira Schoen, a retired law enforcement official who lives in Virginia.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/05/27/1973-mercury-capri-survivor
1 Like

Really takes me back…right down to the “oh so 70’s” brown paint and vinyl top. Great find.

I had a green 1972 2.0 Capri. Great car and handled extremely well with up graded 205 tires. Good for around 100 mph with a little time to get there… Rust was a real issue with these cars; wheel wells, lower rocker panels, and interestingly on my car the top passenger fender and A pillar. Loved it!

Worked for a guy, in the last century, that had a silver 1972 with the V-6 and a manual tranny. Nice car. I’ve looked for one like his, but they are extremely hard to find. Guess it is true that rust never sleeps.

Enjoyed the Capri I bought a new 1600 1970 when I was in rhe Army at Ft Knox KY after a tour in Vietnam. Liked the 1600 so much that in 1971 I bought a Silver 2.0 and then in 1973 bought a Green V-6. Wish I had any of them today

I have a big soft spot for that particular Capri and pretty much any Capri before 1974. The Capri shown is the exact look of the 73 Capri, a friend owned, and where I first learned how to drive a stick since getting my license in 1969. It enable me to be able to drive my father’s Porsche 911E Targa. My sister had a 74 Capri in the same color, with the V6 but an automatic of course. Still a nice moving car. These are one of the very few cars that I would consider going into hock in order to own.

I had an early 1971 Capri with the Kent 1600 in it. Nice car, but man, was it sloooow! I regularly got my doors blown off by 2 liter Pintos, much to my chagrin…

• Jim

I drove a green ‘73 with the manual and V6 in high school. It was reasonably fast but could out handle all my friends in the Chevelles and Cutlass’. It caused me to really appreciate small nimble cars over the high powered muscle cars.

I live in Australia , you haven’t mentioned the South African V8 Capri. I’m sure it was by Ford in Soth Africa , it’s a mean machine.

thats slightly incorrect while samcor made the capri in south africa the were coverted 289 and 302 windsors by basil green.

I occasionally search for one, but I think the author understated the rust issue with these cars. Yes, that era, all cars rusted, but the Capri seemed to lead the pack. I have a friend who had one and it literally fell apart around him. It’s a shame. I really like the body style.

ANY Capri or Capri II is mighty rare around here nowadays. This one really looks nice, although I would want the V6. I don’t think repainting it red would have been so bad, though (originality aside); that brown is a rather drab colour.

I had a 2.6L '73 Capri when I was in college. We called it the “poor man’s BMW 2002” but I really enjoyed the car. But I have always had a soft spot for all of those other oddballs that
Ford abandoned at Lincoln Mercury Dealers as I’ve had a Capri, two Merkur Scorpios, and still have a De Tomaso Pantera. It’s a shame Ford “banished” these fine cars to lives of obscurity among the Lincoln Continentals and Grand Marquis. Who did they think was shopping there?

1 Like

My favorite feature of the Capri was the floor mounted windshield wiper switch. It was better than interval wipers.

My neighbors owned a 70 with the 1600. I remember they would frequently have to change one of the rocker arms and I don’t recall why. I do recall their car was so early in production, the 1600 they had used a different rocker arm than the later 1600’s and it was difficult to obtain. The car was in the family for many years and of course it was brown metallic.
Later in 1973, I worked in sales at the local Lincoln/Mercury outlet which also sold the Capri and Pantera. When the 74’s arrived the V6 option was killer. For $155 you got larger springs, wider wheels and bigger tires. If you went for the deluxe interior you where in comfort land including a remote outside mirror. There was no right hand mirror available at the time but the same mirror was used by AMC. The Lincoln dealer also owned a AMC/Jeep outlet and they offered the right hand mirror as an option. Many went for it. The steel sunroof was really cool. The store had it’s own body shop and the sales manager frequently would have them disassemble a Capri and do a complete color change with colors not available from the factory including black and red. Those flew out the door even with the additional $500 price increase. The Capris were on the same lot as the Pantera’s and did not seem out of place. A Pantera at $9,995.00 seemed expensive at the time with the only option being what type of radio the client wanted.

My first car in college in 1975 was a 1973 Capri 2.6 V6. It was a fun car to drive. I put in an after market spoiler, headers, an Anza exhaust, 8 track and a CB radio. That was the in thing back in the 70’s. It sounded great and it was faster than my friends Capri. I can’t tell you how man times the gear shifting stem broke and I had to shift with vice grips until I could get it repaired. A drunk driver totaled my car. My girlfriend at the time and I were OK but the car was totaled. It was build strong and we were lucky. I then bought with the insurance money a 1976 Capri 2.8 V6. I had that car for about 6 years and then I sold it and started driving a Jeep. It was fun to see the pictures of this brown Capri. It brought back many memories.

I don’t remember ever seeing one of these that wasn’t painted that same “oxidized penny” brown. Another one of those cars that was wildly popular for a few years and then just seemed to disappear overnight.

I bought a '73 Capri in 1980 as my first car. It was a brown one but lighter(more orange) than the one in the article. 2.0 A/T. Not a fast car but great in the turns. Had a lot of fun with that car until the timing belt broke. And the rust came. Put a new belt on myself. Didn’t really know what I was doing back then. Either it was off a tooth or there was some internal damage. Not sure but it never ran well after that. Engine finally blew and sold it for parts. Haven’t seen one on the road in probably 30+ years.

Spent 5 years stationed in Germany in the 80’s and they were all over the place - never got my hands on one because if they came up for sale they were gone quick. I wish I could find my photos of the customized ones that i took - aftermarket parts were available everywhere and it was rare to see one that hadn’t been modified somehow! One of the coolest European cars in my book!

Owned a 72 V-6 and to this day might be my favorite car.
Simple to work on-Changed the fuel pump multiple time on the side of the road.
Great handling plenty of power by comparison to its peers Excellent rally car handled off road terrain amazing well. Goose neck lamp, floor mounted windshield washer pump switch
Would make room in my garage if I could find one!