Hagerty.com

This E38-gen, 158-mile BMW 7 Series is literally bubble-wrapped

Bored out of your mind and looking for a little distraction from the endless stream of coronavirus news? Check out this BMW in a bubble on Germany’s eBay site.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/03/25/e38-gen-158-mile-bmw-7-series-literally-bubble-wrapped

What does, “And it’s not the tamer U.S. version, but a real-deal German release,” actually mean? This is a 1998 BMW, not a 1986 one, before Europe cared about exhaust emissions. By the time this car was made, we were getting vastly faster German cars than Germany was on a volume basis, since most of theirs were low-spec diesels while the ones they could sell against Lexus had to have their biggest gasoline engines not to look pathetic. A German 740i was no quicker than a US 740i. Was the governor set higher on the German market car? My friend’s 2001 740i Sport turned into a pumpkin a dozen years ago. It had almost 100K miles, but many of its problems related to garbage materials that had failed based on age.

1 Like

Who wants a 23 year old bubble BMW!?
Do what it was designed for…Drive the gosh darn car!!
Every fluid and belt should be changed if it sat that long…The tires are flat spotted and wayyyy too old for safe performance driving…Certain valve springs have been under full compression for decades…Ugh! I hate these time capsule turds!

1 Like

It’s an automatic; I wouldn’t drive it either!

2 Likes

Lets make a deal…I’ll do an even trade if they pay the shipping. My Yugo, 16 year old cocker spaniel and my 12 year old hiking boots.

1 Like

I don’t get it. A car is not an inanimate object like a painting, so why would anyone want to bubble wrap it. Dr. Porsche once said “Drive the freakin’ thing.” (Thanks, again to Google Translate) Enjoy the experience - if you don’t want to drive it, then let someone else. Don’t be that guy!

1 Like

Nice discovery, but I don’t think a car like this is actually feasible for almost anyone to actually own. If they don’t drive it, then it isn’t useful or doing what it was intended to do. And if they do drive it, like many other people have mentioned, that would be great—with the major worry that something could go wrong. Then, if they are to change the tires and other miscellaneous mechanical things, it would no longer be original. Hmm…

of all the BMW’ s that could have been similarly preserved,this series would not have entered my mind…

Put it on Bring-A-Trailer. Those BMW-worshipping knuckleheads and their $300/hr lawe…oops, mechanics, will drool all over it.