Hagerty.com

This rare Canadian police Mustang could become your next trusty steed

Today, it’s common to think of Ford Mustangs as the vehicles being stopped by police for galloping a little too hard. (Particularly while leaving cars and coffee.) But that wasn’t always the case—at one time, it was the Mustang that was laying down the law.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/03/20/rare-canadian-police-mustang-your-next-trusty-steed
1 Like

Very cool and I’d love to have it if I had a warehoused collection. There is no way you could drive it on public roads here in Canada with the lights and/or markings still intact. Sigh.

1 Like

This is definitely one of the most interesting SSP Mustang’s I have seen with that Blue and White color scheme. It would be a great addition to a collection with a low cost and potential future value… Fox body Mustang’s in good condition have been picking up interest as well.

Denver, CO had at least one of these Mustangs but I’m not sure how much pursuing it was involved in. It was a “plain white wrapper” frequently parked on the Steele St. overpass clocking northbound I-25 traffic. The pursuits were done by officers on Harleys.

A five speed Manual. Now that’s cool ! Should bring a price premium over a slushbox.

Harley Davidsons were the slowest “chase” vehicle major police agencies had in their arsenal, however, they commanded a wonderful “presence” when a jack-booted office rolled up on one. Basically, for many years, they were parade bikes whilst the new order of police motors were supplemented by ultra-fast (for their time) BMWs, Kawasakis and Hondas. Cheers!

I would rather bid on a civilian-issued car. I had a buddy years ago that bought on the cheap a former state trooper 5.0. (I think it was from an actual police auction). It had a ton of miles on it along with the fact they were driven really hard. The same would seem to apply more recently to the Hemi Chargers being retired. I think the novelty would slowly wear off and they are pretty stripped and bare bones once they get to the civilian population.

1 Like

Cops didn’t like these because if the actually nailed a perp, they had to call for back up to house the prisoner. They had a higher top speed than a civilian notch Fox.

These are the cars that, in the late 80s, ruined the mystique of the Florida Keys. Regan wanted his zero tolerance program enforced so Rt 1 through the keys was flooded with state troopers driving 5.0 mustangs.

I keep getting tempted buy used police AWD Hemi Chargers (only way to get that combo as a civilian) but then I remember that the back seat has seen everything, and the miles on the odometer only tell part of the story of how much idling that engine has done.

Now if I could get the mythical “chief’s car” with low mileage that a police mechanic knows was babied…

So, I guess I’ll have to go to Canada to get one of these.

Looks like the same car I saw in 2018 at a local Mustang club’s annual Stampede car show at the Ford Canadian headquarters in Oakville, Ontario. If it sells at the auction in Indianapolis, it will probably go to a bidder in the States (if not already there). It would be a shame to lose some our Canadian automotive history and I may never get to see it again. I guess I feel the same about this car as many others do about the recent Bullit Mustang sale, hoping that it does not end up overseas. Hey, just noticed, a cop car parked in a handicapped spot!