Hagerty.com

Three BMWs to buy, sell, or hold

When it comes to “The Ultimate Driving Machine,” BMW has spoiled us with enthusiast cars produced over the past several decades. From humble sedans to mid-engine supercars, BMW has just about done it all, but two things that vintage BMWs consistently deliver are an engaging driving experience and clever German engineering.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/12/05/bmws-to-buy-sell-hold

Ughhh I want a 2002 so badly. I drove an Inka Orange 2002 tii around an empty race track on Vancouver Island last year, and I have not been able to shake it. A beauty to look at, with its simple, crisp lines, but even more delightful to drive. One day…

It seems that the 1991-1997 E31 850i seems to be all the hype with the enthusiasts nowdays. Any projections on those cars, especially given the BMWs’ revival of the 8-series in the 2018?

I’ve owned 2 out of the 3 cars mentioned here. Haven’t owned an E24 but I have owned an E30 M3 and quite a few 2002s in the past.
I would say this article is a bit behind the curve. All three of those models have already jumped way up in value and so that "boat has already sailed."
The E31 8-Series is a very good call. Their values are still way low and a real "sleeper. With the impending launch of the long awaited new 8-Series they are now destined to become highly desirable.
Fortunately, I own a very low mileage 840Ci Sport! :blush:
Www.bmwclassics.co.uk

I spend a lot of time and effort on the 2002 models, including the 2002tii. And while they built a lot of 2002s, the number of US-spec tiis is only about 7500.

Rust and accidents have claimed the majority of these models and the remaining numbers of exceptionally nice examples are appreciating rapidly. And despite the efforts of BMW to keep a stock of restoration parts there are shortages from ATE, Bosch, Getrag, ZF and Behr.

Shortages lead to higher restoration costs and it’s very easy to get “upside-down” with your budget during the restoration process. Always buy the best one you can afford. I am often surprised how exceptional cars are overlooked and so-so cars are sold for high dollars.

My advice for prospective buyers (including private sales, auctions, auction websites like eBay): Get a PPI from a knowledgeable expert who knows the model intimately. It’s worth the time and expense.

I too am a longtime owner of 2 of these vehicles except mine have been E24 Eurospec models. With it’s high compression head, ported and polished intake and exhaust ports and Schrick racing cam, my “Euro 6” is faster off the line with it’s 12 valves and the added horse power from the racing cam will match an M6 any day. Plus the more sleek styling of the small Euro bumpers looks better than the M6’s. Near perfect shape Euro E24s are going for anywhere from $12-30K these days. I paid $6k for mine 20 years ago.

My “other” car is a 1974 E9 modified with a Motronic M30 engine/5-speed/LSD. It’s incredibly fun to drive.
I bristle at the idea of buying these for investments. They need to be DRIVEN to be fully appreciated! And both look better than anything BMW has to offer these days. The Euro 6 is my daily driver and always turns heads. So does the E9 when I take it out.

And here’s the E9

@viktoraccess It is pretty safe to say that there is pretty strong interest in the 8-Series from the 90s and it does appear that values are on the rise. It is something that the Hagerty Valuation Team has been researching as a future addition to the price guide at some point. Precise predictions are tough to pin down to a high degree of certainty, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see values increase as time goes on.

Ive got two e24 6ers and an e34 535i all with 5speeds. Its amusing how e31 people act like 8ers are the only cool bimmer there is at car shows. Plus that glove compartment is just …odd. Im working on putting a 6speed manual in my e39 540i wagon serious PITA but looking forward to it