Hagerty.com

Three Pontiacs to buy, sell, or hold

Sadly, Pontiac is no longer with us. A victim of the late-2000s financial chaos at GM, Pontiac didn’t survive into this decade. Cars wearing the Pontiac badge are becoming an increasingly rare sight on our roads. Pontiacs may be gone, but it certainly is not forgotten; the marque built some of the most memorable American muscle and pony cars.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/12/19/pontiacs-to-buy-sell-hold

What?! No G8 GXP in you list???
Way more rare / collectable than any of the others. Who’s in charge of list making here?

I do not understand why the 3rd generation Pontiac Firebird is never mentioned. 1982-1992, it seems they are the red headed stepchild of the Trans Am and Formula genre. Outside of the overplayed David Hasselhoff Knight Rider version, there are almost no articles or appreciation for the 3rd gen cars.

Incredable that Hagerty forgot to mention the G8 GXP, about 1800 were made and prices are high.

I purchased my '04 GTO new and its in the rarest color (Barbados Blue) I rarely put aftermarket items on my car but decided it needed a different hood to get rid of the Grand Am look. After checking many out I purchased a hood from MPD in Indiana. It has the '69 era GTO hood look that is functional as “Ram Air”. The car is driven rarely in the summer and I really enjoy going thru the 6 speed gear box.

I still think the 1970-73 Trans Ams are the best looking/performing Pontiac’s out there. A bit confused about them peaking in this article. Every show I go to, my 1970 is the only Gen 2 in attendance. There are so many people interested in the car, stating they never see them anymore.

I think life is too short to drive an ugly car…and the final gen firebird and GTO’s are plain bulbous and UG-LEE!!!

Any discussion of Pontiac valuations that doesn’t include 1964 through 1967 Tempest, LeMans & GTO’s seems to be lacking. The 1964 GTO is considered by many to be the first American muscle car ever.
Where styling is concerned the 1966 and 1967 models with the Coke bottle styling and the flying butress C-pillar are strikingly good looking. Demand for these cars always outstrips supply resulting in very high value especially if they are a real 242 VIN.
True 242s keep getting harder and harder to find for sale at a reasonable price for an entry level collector.
Many have used 235 and 237 cars to create clones of 242 cars. The result is a depleting supply of 235 and 237 cars which should eventually cause unmolested examples of 235 and 237 cars to climb in value.

I’m surprised a low mileage Fiero wouldn’t be in demand since most languished into salvage yards and/or ended up as kit cars. I bet a mint condition 87 Gt would demand some serious money later.

What about the 1957 and 1958 Pontiac Super Chief? Only made in those two years, they sure outshined the '57 Chevy that everyone has!!
My '578 Super Chief is a driver, but I get tons of thumbs up every time I drive it!

Sorry, it’s a '57 not a '578!

My Pontiac to buy would be a 1965 Bonneville Convertible!

The G8 is the only late model Pontiac I would even consider buying. As far as the fourth generation Firebirds, there is a reason Pontiac went out of business.

@mike4, @ernesto_delvecchio, I am the main contributor to the modern Pontiacs on the Hagerty Price Guide and I agree completely that the G8 GXP is a very hot car (especially the few that were ordered with the manual). In fact, this is a car that I badly want for my own collection. Right now, late model Pontiac performance cars are red hot and it was impossible to pick just one to talk about. the main deciding factor was that we have not added the G8 to the price guide yet. This is something I am looking to address for early 2018.

Good to hear. Thanks for your reply.

It’s always nice to see there is still a strong Pontiac following alive and well!!
First gen Firebirds have always been my favourite.
Why haven’t any of the Major magazine publications not covered the 50th year of the Firebird model?

The first gen 67Firebird convertible with the side vent windows was a nice looking car. Even better with the 400 cid sitting in it

I agree. I’ve actually seen the price of 3rd gens steadily increase over the past 10 years. I sold my a high mile but relatively clean 1990 Formula in 2007 for 3500. Today I could get 6 grand for it easy. And real nice examples are going well of the 10 grand mark. In my opinion their styling was better than either the 4th gens or new age GTO’s that followed ( I even owned a 1997 Formula and a 2004 GTO). Performance wasn’t that far behind either if you owned one equipped the right way…i.e 305 TPI 5 speed with the performance pack, or 350 TPI. Great cars, and as the Gen X crowd (myself included) gets more nostalgic in their car collecting, this will become very popular again.

finding it hard to believe some people did not like the final editions of the Firebird ,I guess beauty is really in the eye of the beholder.While I dearly loved the pontiacs of the mid 50s ,62 Grand Prix and 64-66 GTOs I never thought too much of the Trans ams and Firebirds until I saw a red 2000 convertible in the show room.The WS6 package front end mesmerized me with its exotic predatory looks. I bought it and still drive it regularly.

You forgot the 1958 Pontiac Bonneville. They are scare and bringing big money. Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale January 2017 a coupe sold for $216,000. Mecum in Las Vegas 2017 a convertible sold for $176,000. This is a one year model so if you can find one it should be a good place to park your money.