Hagerty.com

Three pony cars to buy, sell or hold

America’s love for the pony car is undeniable. More than 50 years after the Mustang (or the Plymouth Barracuda, if you ask Mopar folks) launched the segment, pony cars are still among the most commonly seen enthusiast rides at car shows, auctions, drag strips, or just revving their engines between the lights.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/10/10/pony-cars-buy-sell-hold

Half way through the 1963 model year, Ford added a small V8 and a fastback roof to the Falcon and dubbed it the Sprint. In 1964 Plymouth added a small V8 and a fastback roof to the /Valiant and dubbed it the Barracuda. If we must consider a pony car progenitor to the Mustang, I think the Sprint more correctly fits the definition, especially since they share some underpinnings and drivelines. What do you think?

In late 1961, Studebaker introduced the Lark Daytona. The compact Lark was already available with the 289 4 barrel and Twin Traction (posi) rear. For the '62 Daytona they upped the ante with bucket seats, console, and Borg-Warner T-10 4 speed, available in convertible (I had one) or hardtop (with available fabric sun roof). By fall of '62, the '63 debuted with the optional Avanti R2 supercharger. Daytona preceded the Barracuda, Mustang and even Sprint by about 18 to 30 months and could out-pony them all. But alas, the writing was on the wall for Studebaker and everyone knew it. Soon after the Cuda appeared, and just before the Mustang, Studebaker U.S. production halted and the Daytona became a Canadian built sedan with a Chevy 230 or 283.

Ironically I have seen more Javelins and AMX cars this past summer, at least 4 or 5 which is surprising. I don’t remember seeing so many of them, not even when they were relatively new back in the 70’s when I was a kid. The AMX is a real sleeper, those were really fast cars back in the day, meanwhile they were built by one of the worst car company on the planet but I really like their look and yes, I did photograph them when I saw them, three of them were in really nice shape. I seriously doubt that their owners would part with them.

I had a 1968 Javelin SST 390 4 speed brand new back in the day. Couldn’t afford the AMX as it was $500 more expensive. Sold it to buy my wife’s engagement ring and always wanted to get another. Life, kids, college, weddings and the like all took precedence. Three years ago my oldest son surprised me with a 1969 Javelin with that has a worked 401 and GM Turbo 400. It never fails to attract attention wherever I go be it the grocery store or a car show. Usually only one other AMC shows up - a "68 AMX - and we generally park together so we can answer the age old question of “What’s the difference between a Javelin and an AMX?” Most recent local car show had 5 AMCs - two Javelins, two AMXs and one Scrambler. Guess which cars attracted the most attention in a field of Chevys.

As an owner of a very clean always garage kept 96 SVT Cobra :snake: I been anxiously awaiting it to show up on your radar. I’m hoping someday it will make it on your Classic Car Value Estimator.

I started driving at age 16 in 76 with a then very affordable 67 Mustang Coupe $250, moved up to a 68 Coupe $400. Both were straight 6’s. The 67 a 3 speed stick. I moved up to a 70 Fastback with a 302 V8. Then a series of Saabs in college followed by a brand new 82 H.O. Boss is back Mustang GT. Finally hit the peak with a 70 Mach-1 351-C Hurst 4 speed. Sold it for a baby safe car, an 87 Saab. 25 years later when baby got married my 50th birthday present was the 96 Cobra.

I do love the AMC Pony cars, especially the AMX. 2 Years ago at a car show I saw a fully restomodded 63 Studebaker Daytona Coupe with a 289 Hi-Po & R3 Supercharger. To me it was the most interesting car there in a field of about 200 classic muscle cars.

@d.cruikshank Good news! The Cobra is actually on the Hagerty value guide:

I had the opportunity to visit the AMO International Convention while in Gettysburg, PA this past June. I was surprised at the dozens of 60’s AMXs and early 70’s Javelin AMX’s present, and certainly in the public’s enthusiasm in seeing these unique Pony Cars, often for the first time. As I followed a group of ‘millennials’ across the judging field, they seemed quite knowledgeable about Trans Am racing but had no previous understanding of Penske AMC racing. With the exception of a couple of 2-seater 60’s AMXs, they had seen no other AMC cars at their local car shows and cruises. From the 50’s 327 ci Ramblers through the 401 ci Javelins they were amazed they had somehow missed the existence of these ‘different’ examples of classic America’s muscle cars.

The AMC Javelin and AMX - 1st generation - are the best and brightest manifestations of what sharp minds and resourceful teams can build on short string budgets. But they are 2 sad stories. The Javelin was boxed in with the mustang camaro fierbird camp, but the AMX stood alone. It could not compete with the corvette and it was not a pony car. A lost identity.

In college I bought my 68 javelin 290 v8 and 3 speed on the floor, beat to hell but nothing that a maaco couldn’t pretty up. Then I traded up and got my 68 AMX 390 auto silver serial number 3685 - plaque on the dash.

They were unique cars but they didn’t have the power or acceleration that a mustang mach 1 with a 351 cleveland or a 327 camaro would do.

The AMC brand is migrating to where studebaker and Nash and Metropolitan and other forgotten brands live, in history books.

I currently own a '74 Javelin that is stock with the Medium Green Metallic paint and green Domino interior. It has a 304 with an auto trans, AM/FM “Multiplex” radio, rally wheels, sport steering wheel and rear (fan) defroster. Talk about getting attention at car shows. Too bad that and rarity don’t translate into value!