Hagerty.com

Tomb Raiders: Extracting a classic BMW from its seemingly inaccessible crypt

Recently I wrote about buying back the 1975 BMW 2002 that my wife and I drove away from our wedding in 34 years ago. I’d sold the car to a friend in the early 1990s, but soon after it was stolen and recovered with apparent engine damage.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/07/02/extracting-a-classic-bmw-from-its-crypt

Hey Rob, reminds me of the e28 M5 I bought in Bronx,NY off ebay. Seller claimed it ran blah,blah,blah.
Drove all the way there, got there ( wrecked, but I knew that at 3300 ) no key and no ecu…parked outside in an alley with the wheels turned toward the wall of the building and no way to easily turn them… Did I say the owner was no where to be found except by phone and the Russian mafia chop shop was in charge of collecting the funds AND that I had driven all the way from Ga with my 11 year old to pick it up ? YIKES !.. Well it did get back to Ga with me and eventually sort of turned out fine, but not before we got chased out of NY, argued with Uhaul in Little Jamaica , almost lost the car on I-95 in Va and my wife filed all during the same trip… Yea, we need to write a book on this one and soon
All the best
Steve

CARS OR WIVES, CARS OR WIVES ? The debate goes on…

I kept saying “come on, come on, come on!” as I watched the video of you driving up the hill. Nice job.

Years ago, I bought a 58 Chevy 2 door that had been sitting in a 2 car garage for many years. We had to cut down a small tree that had grown up in front of the unused garage, and shovel gravel away from the over head door to open it. I towed it home with a tow dolly, squirted oil into the cylinders and let it sit. At first, it wouldn’t make a full revolution, but after a while and some coaxing, I got it to turn over all the way. It ran surprisingly well.

And who said tires die after 7 years. :slight_smile:

Reminds me of when my brother and son decided to move a '66 Corvair Corsa convertible so we could extract a '70 Kharmann Ghia. The Corsa resisted movement until encouraged by two Audi 200 AWD’s pullling in series. Quite a site! Rear drums on the VW were locked up so we hammered driver’s side until that could be rotated. We couldn’t get to the passenger side because of proximity to the building. After puzzling we solved the problem by picking up the front of the Ghia and swinging it away. Quite a day!