Hagerty.com

Traditional American classics continue their slump

There is no substitute.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Having a car that moves you off the couch and brings smiles to you and others is the payoff. Rockin what you got while others chase the latest thing is the road for me, but to each his own. We all could fill many books with stories of cars we owned and sold and what they would be worth now if we just could have kept them. That, keeps the hobby alive.

I think that anyone worriing about prices and values going up and down is not a true enthusiast among others we have a 1963 alfa guilia rodster the first question from almost anyone wwho looks at it is What is it worth? Std answer it is not for sale and every hour with it on the Road is priceless

I always use the Malcolm Forbes mindset when collecting anything whether it be Cars, Guitars, Vintage Cowboy boots or tin mechanical toys…BUY STUFF Because YOU like it. Then if it doesn’t go up in value…At Least YOU LIKE what you are stuck with.!!!

sounds like a good group.

Back in the 80’s one of our university professors collected cars. the coolest sounding and looking car was a blue Corvair convertible. Had a bad safety reputation but no one ever saw it blow up or spin out. I loved that car whenever I saw it go by. After many years I was able to get the coupe version and I love it. Air cooled, sounds like a monster Porsche, big enough for 4, handles awesome - love it. Hope prices stay low, I’d like to pick up a Corsa version.

This is another correction caused by way too many auctions hyping up prices. Mid year vettes are the perfect example.

Younger car guy here. I and many of my car friends appreciate these classics but the reality is that these aren’t the cars we grew up wanting.
As 90’s kids we grew up lusting after cars like the Acura NSX, Nissan 300zx TT, Toyota Supra, Nissan Skyline, etc. Imports basically.
We certainly appreciate cars like 32 Fords, 49 Mercury, 69 Camaros, etc. but if both a 32 Ford and an Acura NSX are for sale at the same price I’m buying the NSX.
Slightly off topic but the good news is there’s more millennial car guys out there than you think.
The hobby will survive.

Rodneyshands—I love the story of your daughters and grandkids. I lived a similar life with my parents driving me unimaginable distances in a Model A Ford with a leaky roof and breakdowns every 20 miles or so due to Dad’s insistence on originality. A few years back, Dad actually gave me that very car and I am grateful. I am re-living some of the experiences and fun with my own family. The big difference is I know when to call a tow truck, when to suck it up for a roadside technical seminar, and when to put on a brand new part vs really old condenser.
Pass on the family bond. Your daughters clearly want the Corvettes and the grandkids love the experience. Gift the cars to your kids if you can afford to do so. They will make many memories in your honor for generations to come. This was “grandpa’s car”.
Do a coin flip on who gets which car if you have to…

goofydog10, I’ve been a fan of BMWs since the 2002 appeared in 1968/9. Unfortunately, only a handful of bimmers have attained true cult status. I agree your latest BMW is an engineering piece of art, but to think it will be worth anymore than it currently is in 10 years, bucks nearly all BMW valuations, past and present. Enjoy your ride, and good luck finding parts (or a megabuck buyer) in 10 or more years!

36 year old here… Up bringing consisted of being around grand parents, uncles, best friends Dad etc all having 40s, 50, 60s, early 70s cars. Going to car shows, drag races, and turning wrenches. Has a lot to do with up bringing and your interests. I dont follow Barrett Jackson or similar auctions. To me they artifically inflated. Planning to buy Uncles 68 camaro conv and 71 camaro hardtop. Then other Uncles first gen corvette when he decides to part with it. Its in my blood and promised them will never sell the cars regardless of their worth. Something about the looks, wrenching on the car, and the rumble cant be replaced by a new car. Id rather have a Fastback or a superbee over a ZL1 or Hellcat any-day. I hope theres more of me out there that share this passion. If not in the next 20 years ill have my picking at the cars as they come up for sale.

38 year old here. Checked the 80’s 911 box and now wondering about old Iron. Either a V12 Zephyr business coupe or a Model A hot rod sounds like fun.

What is the statistical methodology? If someone paid a super stupid price for a ‘66 Whatzit two years ago (or one whatever you are doing) and now my really nice Whatzit is up for sale along with a bunch of other nice Whatzits, how does this impact the average. Are we looking at standard deviation, a mean, median, mode? Are we just looking at a simple moving average? Was that simple moving average moved by a moron in the crowd that bought a Whatzit for a really dumb number and we ought to ignore it? Was there some really REALLY unusual car in the average that skewed the numbers?
One of my favorite expressions is ‘Liars figure and figures Lie.” I am not saying or inferring in any way that Hagerty lies, but the data should not inflict despair or cause someone to lose sleep. There are market trends but we need to know the quantitative methods used in the analysis that derived the conclusions presented. I do truly appreciate the Hagerty newsletters!
As other stated, I can’t deny that interests shift and that will impact pricing. That said, I like driving my stock ‘31 Model A about as much as I like driving my modified ‘96 Mustang Cobra Convertible. One gets smiles from everyone everywhere, another puts smiles on my face when the aftermarket supercharger blows the rear tires off. Each will have or has had its day in the market—do I own it is an investment or an entertainment—or both? Yes.

Many factors. “Jacked-up and Bear-it” gave everybody the thought, “My car is as good as that one”, so they hit e-Bay with $$$$ you could once buy a house with. The young kids were raised on “angry hornet” 4-bangers and have no
concept for American cars. I said 10 years ago, that the Big-3 , will abandon everything
but SUV’s and Real-size trucks, we’re almost there. Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Plymouth, are gone because they lost the buyers. Buick, is next. When the Boomers pass on, there will be no buyers. Cadillac goes to the grave with the last boomers.
The throw-away cars, won their appeal with low payments, and 100,000 mile warranties and betting you’ll trade in 3 years. $150. a month for 84 months, no problem. I have leaned toward quirky cars and limited production stuff.
My favorite is my 78 Mercury Monarch, factory 302, 4-speed car. It’s a Mustang in a box, just as fun to drive as any Camaro, paid $4k for it.
Have a 08 Saab 97-x Aero, LS-2, 6.0, 415hp and IS more fun than a Camaro. And we have the Grandpa’s Car, 57 Packard Clipper Wagon, doesn’t look anything like a Camaro. And for utility, a 72 Chevy C-30 1-ton stepside with 9’ bed, made 1500 of them. It’s the length of a bowling alley… Got a Classic driver for $5000.
They are out there, look for them…The hunt, the conquest, and the drive,YAA>

I’m almost 71 and I have never had to “want” the car from when I was in high school because I still have it today!
Bought it in 1964, had to sell it in 1968, getting married and needed the money, but in 1969 I bought the same exact car, a 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe, both were bone stock and the same color yellow.
Today it’s shiny, Cragars, a ’66 Malibu SBC 283, ’87 Monte Carlo 2004R transmission, a ’57 Chevy rear end, front disc brakes and still has the single front spring.
Yes I drive it, just got back from RoadKill Zip Tie Drags in Tucson Arizona, 1100 miles round trip from Los Angeles, lots of “Smiles Per Mile”!
And while it’s not a race car I got in a few passes on the 1/4 mile, top speed was 70 MPH, more “Smiles Per Mile” and I actually beat 2 guys.
My son, his wife, her mother and father were there, I took each of them on a run down the 1/4 mile, my son drove it 3 times with me as passenger, it was a great fun weekend!
No it’s not for sale, my son is going to get it when I can’t drive it anymore or when I die, whichever comes first.

Get what you love, drive it, enjoy it and don’t worry about it’s value!

At 66 and retired, I am thoroughly enjoying my classic car collection; not because of what they are worth, but because I love the cars. There is no rhyme or reason for what I collect, I have just bought cars that I like. This includes everything from a 1949 Oldsmobile Futuramic 98 convertible up to a 2013 SRT8 Challenger with the Daytona Charger conversion package from HPP. Each car is like a person with its own personality and attitude. I will be leaving them to my 3 adult children who have zero interest in them so they will probably be herded through Mecum or some other auction as soon as I’m gone. Fortunately, I don’t need the money right now and intend to enjoy them until I’m no longer able to draw a breath. No boredom in this retirement!!

I’m 41 and I spent my 20’s buying and selling 60s project cars and parts. I dealt in a little of everything, even AMC, but my specialty was 68-70 Mopar B-bodies, which I’ll always have a soft spot for.

But my soulmate is 85 Mustang notchbacks of the factory 302 4v 5-speed persuation. That’s my one car I’d have above all others, which always shocks people to hear. Eh, whatever. I’ve got my reasons.

72 years old here. I always wanted an American classic & focused on the GM, Mercury, & Hudson car new body styles after WWII. Learned to drive in a 57 Ford 500 XL & my dad always drove Fords. I guess I’m a little different in that I wasn’t looking for a 60’s muscle car having graduated from H School in 64 & ended up buying a 1949 Buick Super Sedanet driver, art on wheels
. Love the fastbacks from this era even though I was only 3 when this car came out. 3 speed on the column, Bahama blue 2 door with Ca yellow plates from’49. When I drive this car on the roads of So Cal I feel I’ve got the coolest caar on the road; forget Porsche, MB, BMW, Ferrrari, Lambo, etc. I may may be the only person in the country driving this car. The state of Cali should be paying me to bring this out on the street & beautifying the local highways!!!

We’ve got an eclectic collection of 7 cars. Had grown to 13 cars at one point, but health issues recently required some consolidation.
I was once told that the line between old and new is the year you graduate from HS. We have 2 vehicles from before grad date of 72, a 55 Ford Sunliner and a 68 MGB roadster, and until recently, also a 54 Chevy stepside pickup and a 64 Lincoln convertible. The Ford has been in the family since new, and I’m the second owner. The 54 Chevy has been the family farm truck since the early sixties, and I learned to drive in it when I was 13. Sold it recently to the farm’s next door neighbor, who has coveted the truck since he was a little kid. I used to borrow the 55 Ford whenever I was in town, and tried to buy it for 45 years. Finally, one of my cousins told me that his Dad wanted me to have his Ford, so a deal was struck, but not until after he passed. The Lincoln convertible 64 was car I had wanted since I was a little kid, and Dad had a 40 Continental cab. Bought the 64 in 74 and enjoyed it for 40 years, finally selling it recently to my cousin (who also owns Dad’s 40 Continental ). The other “old” car is a 68 MGB roadster. Always liked the MGB and this one had the full pedigree from birth and only 38k miles. Linda immediately laid claim on it as “her” car. Been in the family for now for close to 30 years, likely to be much longer.
Making money was not a high priority when buying these cars. It pretty much pure emotion, I could sit out in carriage house with an adult beverage and sit and look at these cars for hours. Even when I decided to sell 2, I made sure they would remain close by and accessible so I could visit my children when I wanted.

Post 72 cars were less nostalgia, and more price. When model I was high on seemed to be flattening out on the deprecitvation curve, I started to watch the price/condition number closely.
When the perfect (to me, at least) one showed up, I was ready to enquire. My wife has a standing joke with me that basically I say that in the morning I had no idea that I would be buying a car that day, but by the end of the night, something different was either in the driveway, or on it’s way.

I don’t mind paying a bit more if it’s exactly what I was looking for, as I tend to be buy and hold, not a flipper.
Jim

I had a 58 Porsche Speedster in 1966 after a TR 3 in 65. What a difference in reliability! The TR3 was junk, good looking, but junk compared to the Porsche. 3 years later it was gone. Fast forward to 1991 and I finally could get another Porsche. 356 Speedster or 914-6? I drove both and the 914 was a superior driving experience by a vast margin. This is the same experience everyone has with cars like the 52 Olds and even the muscle cars. If you want great handling and ride, good brakes, comfortable seats and speed, a car like the Porsches, Mercedes and BMW’s are the ones to have. Not much else does everything well. To me,If you have a old car you can’t wait to drive, you are doing well. If not, why have it.