Hagerty.com

Traditional American classics continue their slump

The worst thing to happen was the Barrett-Jackson’s and the Mecums. Yes there are some car enthusiasts in that group but many of them are just flippers looking to make a buck and drive prices up. Seen to many guys that have never turned a wrench buying and selling like it’s a stock. Ruins it for the guys that have a real passion for the cars.

True ; When you never turned a wrench or change your own oil; Kids now a days, ask their parents to pay for what they want ! They don’t realize the true felling’s about driving a car by the seat of your pants ! Not the comfort of the new cars ! True; they are comfortable ; But not the same; Stick with your texting on your phones ! When you go to a car show; respect your elders, they know more than you !

All the doom and gloomers need to chill for a moment! Take a look at that list, does anyone here think that SL 230s, 250s or 280s C2s GT 350s or Tigers aren’t desirable classics? Of course they are! These cars are on this list because most of the people who want them can’t afford them! Speculators only drive the market for so long and then when they can no longer make money on a car they drop them. The rest of the cars on this list are cars that either have gone out of fashion or were never in fashion in the first place! Not every old car is a collector car. This list is data driven but data on lower production cars move more when even a small change occurs and low priced cars are affected more by small changes in value because the data is based on a percentage change, look at the list of hottest cars from last week, the same dynamic is in play, a $1000 change in value in a $10,000 car is a big difference! Hagerty also uses insurance quotes as part of the criteria so if a lot owners a particular car aren’t looking for quotes that will affect their rating.

This topic continues to come up. It seems the overall consensus is that younger people are not getting involved. I would agree in principle, just because of the group I was around when I was 18, but there were plenty at that time that weren’t interested in cars either. Transportation will always capture the hearts of a certain demographic , but will always change because transportation changes. As long as there are machines that we must control to get us from point a to point b, someone will be trying to make it better, faster, cheaper or cooler, and these are the people we will depend on to actually create something. Moving money around on a laptop is grwat, but nobody comes by and drools over your fancy keyboard work. Go to a car event(any transportaion event, planes, trains, automobiles) and watch people stand and admire what they are seeing. The crowds may be getting smaller, but they will come back in time. Man is made to create, no one can change that dna, no matter how hard they try.
On another topic, I got lucky, I bought my 68 mustang in high school and still have it, for what it’s worth,it still draws attention from everyone 7-70. Mustangs are just badass.

I am 57, and have been a car nut all my life due to my Dad who is now 78.

He has a 1952 MB Cabriolet he’s had since 1959 (it’s been broke down this whole time, and he’s not going to fix it… ever), a 62 VW Beetle that was my Grandfather’s (it broke down in 1968 and has been sitting ever since), and a 61 Fiat Transformabile (also broke down since 66).

I have asked my dad to sell them to me and he says he doesn’t want to talk about it. I figure he’ll die with them in the garage, and I’ll have to pay the IRS an inheritance tax (after THE IRS decides what they’re worth…) just to keep them, that is unless the mulberry tree that’s leaning over the garage decides to fall first, crushing them all, but he doesn’t want to deal with cutting the tree either (I’ve offered to cut it and to pay for it to be cut, but he doesn’t want to deal with, or talk about anything.

Procrastinator extrodinaire? Stubborn? Foolish even? I’d say yes.

He’s saving a house on property for me down in Illinois (I live in California) thinking I will maybe move back? (I won’t…). I’ve tried to tell him I don’t want the house, but…he doesn’t want to talk about it…

If he’d at least talk about it we could have a discussion about me paying him for the cars instead of the IRS after he dies, but did I mention my dad is stubborn?

My dad’s mom (my grandma) lived until she was 97, so I figure I’ll have to wait until I’m in my late 70’s before I can even touch them. Very sad thinking these cars will sit another 20 years…

Personally, I have had many fine autos, and except for my 54 Studebaker Conestoga wagon, I have not followed my dad’s footsteps by hoarding broken down cars for decades.

I just sold a RH drive Jensen Healey, a 62 Buick Special 2 dr, a 65 Coronet 500, and a 58 Willys FC 150, to hopefully generate enough cash to pay my dad for his cars (which I can bring to California and have next to me, unlike a property I do not want, located 2000 miles away from my home), except for that he 'doesn’t want to talk about it (his words “this discussion is over”).

I envy all you collectors who got the family car. I have been trying to get the family cars for a while now. My little brother says my dad needs money, so he wants to help him sell the cars (but he wants to put 10% in his own pocket for his trouble as he’s an antique appraiser). My brother lives in Illinois, and is quite ok with inheriting the house/property and NOT inheriting the cars. The upside to that is the cars wouldn’t sit another 20 years, but I won’t get them for myself. Some upside…

Until then, maybe I’ll just buy and sell a few more classics. I see a 73 Caddy Fleetwood in the neighborhood that didn’t sell at $1300, so maybe they’ll take $1000? I don’t NEED another car, least of all another Caddy (I’ve had 2 so far, including a limo), but it’s rust free, and only has one dent in the passenger front door…

Yes, you are right the consensus is that younger people aren’t interested in cars. I don’t think that’s necessarily the truth though. Hagerty conducted a survey and found that as of 2018, we have more Gen X and Millennial aged people quoting legitimate classic/enthusiast cars than baby boomers and Greatest Gen combined. The most popular car among the younger quoters? 65-66 Mustangs. I’m in my early 30s and own a 69 Pontiac. So older cars are not out of the realm of interest for a lot of us. I think that the hobby is alive and well, older enthusiasts just aren’t seeing younger drivers at cruise ins and traditional car shows. Most of the guys I run with don’t care to go to shows and prefer a cars and coffee or an impromptu cruise. The hard part is the cost of the hobby. There are plenty of us who love old muscle cars, but financial commitments such as student loans, buying a new house, getting married, raising a new family, isn’t what it used to be, so buying that sweet LS6 Chevelle isn’t going to happen for a while, especially at market prices. So a Miata, or a 2bbl, 65 Mustang is all that is affordable for now.

Hard to say how classic car values and acceptance or rejection will go…human nature I guess?? I recall when the GTO Judge came out, it really wasn’t very popular, the folks thought, why would they disrespect such a great car with that moniker. Now, they are worth a fortune! And the beat goes on…

If you are of a mind you can add an LS motor, 4L80E trans, power 4whl discs, ps, ac, pw and an advanced suspension to the Impala. As for the air bags, considering how many people are hurt by them I’m not sure they an advantage, and as for the crumple zones, you don’t need them when your car can crush almost everything else out there!

Amen, brother. Maybe it’s the fact that I am the same age you are, but I agree with everything you said about “vintage” collector cars. My experience with them is that, almost without exception, they are a massive disappointment to actually own and drive. That said, my garage has invariably held at least one such vehicle in it since 1968. Usually they were used fairly regularly for the first couple of years, decreasing until I got sick of looking at them about 7 years down the road, when I would sell and get something else and start the cycle all over again. The exception were two Porsches, a '73 914 2.0, and a '81 911 Targa, both great cars that I would gladly have again. But probably not for more than another 7 years. Go figure.

Ya know, if the car isn’t a six figure, numbers-matching, limited production trailer queen, I do what I want with em. I was born the year before this true XL was built & probably restored a couple dozen 66 Fairlanes, with a few early Mustangs & Falcons thrown in for variety. The stock hood on these cars are big & flat. Too plain. The artist in me rebelled & I installed the 66 GT version I favored. With the GT stripes & custom bucket seats, I was cruising a car that appealed to me & that I’d built myself. My daily driver was a 66 500 that I rebuilt as an XL with a 67 GT hood. It’s YOUR car man. Don’t listen to folks who believe there’s only one right way to do things. LIVE!
~Wearing the concert shirts others keep hidden in a drawer. :v:

Ragtop%20Park%20Dr%20Cropped

All the evidence you need about the future of the car hobby, is looking at the posts on this board. Just about every make and model, and years have been mentioned. I would say the hobby is doing well.
As the above example stated, a $10,000 car that goes up$1000 value, is going to look like a huge jump (+10%).
Bottom line purchase what you are going to enjoy.
For all the young guys (30’s) that don’t like car shows, and prefer cars and coffee: when is Good Guys AKA “greedy guys” , or all these shows that charge $20, $30 and up going to understand. We don’t need to pay anything to gather for cars and coffee… So why would we?
I have a handful of 60’s muscle cars, If it is priced right I buy it, and save up money and repeat. I have 4 kids and guess what they are all into it. They help me sand the body of my 55 bel air, or do the brakes on my 65 fastback, and I pick them up from school in the 69 Camaro. It’s all Good.
Thank God we live in the best country on the planet and have the time to enjoy these rolling works of art.

Amen! I would go electrified classic in a heart beat if it was easier and cheaper. Check out Neil Young’s LincVolt - not the right car imo but a great execution on an awesome concept.

Kevin, I am now soon to be 68 and I know exactly how you feel. All I can say is that the next 10 years might get bumpy from here, lad.

Well I’m late to this conversation but I wanna add that not all of us “millennials” want Subaru’s and Toyota’s and the sort. I’m 30 and I have a 92 bronco and a 72 Gran Torino sport. The bronco is the truck that fits my childhood but my 72 fits me like a glove.

Does it drive like new stuff? Is it as safe? Of course not. Do I care that guys my age only know what the car is because of “that Clint Eastwood movie”? Nope.

I say if you can afford it and like it than get it. 68-72 model year cars will always be the gold standard to me as far as aesthetics are concerned…and I wasn’t even born until 89.