Hagerty.com

Trucks and SUV are booming in the classic market, thanks to Millennials and Gen-Xers

Go big or go home. That’s the theme of the newest Hagerty Vehicle Rating—and we aren’t talking about values. Two-thirds of the vehicles in the newest Top 25 ranking are trucks or SUVs, and nearly 90 percent of them are valued at $16,000 or less.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/09/13/hvr-top-25-sep-2017

Interestingly I have noticed that FJ40 values have been dropping steadily, for those of us who missed the boat as they started to rise. Defenders have not followed this trend.

Personally I find it odd that the 1940 thru 1948 Ford pick-ups are not included in Hagerty’s list

Hello!
I don’t understand what this list is trying to say.

Where is the entire list?

@dawarr3

The Hagerty Vehicle Rating is a 0-100 measurement of a vehicle’s performance relative to the market.

The assigned score indicates if a particular model is outperforming the classic car market, underperforming, or whether it’s aligned with the rest of the market. It is entirely data driven and serves as a quick indication of a vehicle’s “heat” (or lack thereof) compared to the market at large.

You can read more about them here. https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/Hagerty-Vehicle-Rating/About-Hagerty-Vehicle-Rating

Early seventies Buick Lesabre? Explain that…

I just lost all faith in the classic car industry by seeing a Toyota listed her. Disappointing to say the least. :angry:

@bjackson85 Why is that? Not everything that is collectible needs to be American. I think that the Toyota Supra is a serious performer and deserves the recognition. I own a muscle car, but I’d seriously consider owning a Mk IV Supra if the opportunity was presented.

Amen to that…classic vehicles are just that, classic,world round. America Japan Italy etc

I own 2 73-87 Chevy/Gmc Pickups, one is a 85GMC 1 ton and an 84 Chevy 3/4 ton. Both restored. They’re the best truck in my opinion. I don’t understand the statement about the early seventies Lesabre. I also own a restored 72 Lesabre Convertible. Are they increasing in value? I’m not selling any of them but it’s nice to know that my cars are becoming valuable

@bjackson85 - I’m just gonna leave this here…

Maybe this will help. Hopefully it isn’t too “insurance heavy” …

The Hagerty Vehicle Rating is derived through the use of the following data:
• Hagerty Price Guide – Measures the change in value of No. 3-condition (good) cars.
• Insured Activity – Measures how many cars have been added to Hagerty’s insured book and their average value at the time they’re added.
• Quote Activity – Measures how many cars have been quoted.
• Auction Activity – Measures the number of cars, their average sale price and the sell-through rate for those cars.
• Private Sales Activity – Measures number of cars sold, average sale price and what percentage sell above their insured value.

Wow, quite a list of vehicles that most of us would not have considered to be desirable in later decades. However, I will stay with cars of the 50’s and 60’s which was my era. High performers, fun vehicles to drive given the number of 3 or 4 speed trannys, easy to work on, and beautiful in style and form. This is my 64 Corvair Spyder, the first turbo charged car GM built. Incredible performance in a collector car that is so reasonably priced, if you can find one…

Beautiful car, @ski2some! Thanks for sharing!

Hello Nick,

I just joined the forum and keen to know views on Ferrari 456GT M’95 model. I just bout the car with the hope that it may be an emerging classic considering it has all the attributes of the essential Ferrari I.e V12, Manual transmission, gated shifter…

Regards,
Harish

Hi @harishkumarkv welcome to the forums.

I’ve spoken with one of our Vehicle Data Analyst and his take was that you are correct, it has all the right things. With that said he also mentioned that Ferraris have cooled off quite a bit and you won’t be seeing the same appreciation as 2012-15.

-Nick

Thank you Nick. With an emerging classic, what is the point of ‘take off’ towards appreciation? Given that most manual Ferraris have seen a substantial upturn in the recent past, the 456M is relatively scarce in the market and its prices are still quite reasonable.

Regards,
Harish

Proud Xer owner of a '68 C-10 here. Got it cheap in '03 from a family member and drive it regularly.

What do I find hilarious? The kids seeking a lot of these vehicles see them as backdrop in clothing catalogs. Models lean on them and look cool.

Except the Buick LeSabre. That is just odd. And yep, I have a '74 Buick Apollo too!