Hagerty.com

Trucks and SUVs are still red hot, but how long will it last?

The first recorded use of the phrase “familiarity breeds contempt” was in Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Tale of Melibee, published in 1386. Perhaps Chaucer was writing about all the trucks and SUVs perched atop the Hagerty Vehicle Rating.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/06/12/classic-trucks-and-suvs-are-still-red-hot

I’m AMAZED that no FORD is on that list! Ford used to be THE CHOICE of most enthusiasts followed by Chevrolet and then Mopar.

1. 1966-1977 Ford Bronco

I don’t know on what planet that Ford used to be the choice of most enthusiasts, but I can attest, based on almost 60 years of involvement in vintage car restoration and street racing, that this was never the case in the SF Bay Area, where the Chevrolet has always been king. Even the old '30s Ford coupes and roadsters that you see at car shows have almost always been Chevy SB powered. I think that the pointed interest in vintage trucks is an indication that we’ve run through the supply of 2 door hardtops and coupes from the '50s through the '70s so we’re now after trucks, 4 door sedans and station wagons. I just bought a '95 Bronco myself because it was nostalgic (I had owned an '83 for 17 years) and I’m hoping the wave of interest will lap all the way up to 1995.