Hagerty.com

Useful tips for a DIY transmission drop

Do it yourself projects can be rewarding, but they can also be intimidating. Luckily, other DIY enthusiasts online can help ease the struggle and increase confidence by documenting their projects. One such instance is this well-done guide on replacing a transmission in a modern Ford Mustang.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/02/diy-transmission-replacement-tips

Couldn’t agree more. It’s amazing the information found on the web, especially videos like you’ve described. They’re awesome to give you an idea of what you’re up against and to decide if retreating in the form of taking it to a profession might be the better part of valor. But I also try to evaluate the knowledge/skill level of the guy doing the video. It’s usually pretty apparent.
The other thing that most of us DIY’ers know is that car specific enthusiast forums can also be REALLY helpful. A search will invariably find many HOW-TO threads filled with tips, videos and photographs on just about any task from the mundane oil change to rebuilding calipers and differentials. I’ve been on both sides of those.

@Jim-R - I couldn’t agree more on the marque specific clubs or forums. Once I joined the Corvair Society of America (CORSA) the tech tips and knowledge access was well worth it. I always recommend joining the national club for your favorite car (if there is one) at least, if not a local chapter too. It has been really fun to learn from people even geekier than I am about Corvairs.