Hagerty.com

Volvo 240 Wagon - Classic Cars Gentrification

We’ll find out as Volvo 240 prices soar

The word “gentrification” has a different connotation depending on your perspective. To a developer, it means changing the character of a neighborhood, enabling real property owners to offer new amenities and charge higher rents. To a displaced long-time resident of a recently gentrified neighborhood, that is cold comfort. The beloved “Brick,” the Volvo 240, now faces the classic car world’s version of gentrification. Accordingly, there will be some sad abnormal-psychology professors and hemp-clothing retailers priced out of the market soon.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2017/06/12/gentrification-of-classic-cars

I feel lucky, I happen to own a Volvo 240 exactly as pictured, only difference, slightly different alloy wheels.
My car is super clean, not perfect due to cracks in the drivers seat. I drive it almost every day, have owned it since 1999 but had it stored for 10 years while deciding what to do with it. I couldn’t find anything to replace it so I had it re-sprayed in its original silver color. I love that car.
Carl H.

I talked my son into buying a 93 clasic from Canada on eBay, it’s a saran and it’s 1595 of 1600 making it perhaps one of the last volvo 240 classics still on the road we figure.

When I was working as a claims adjuster I always had trouble getting a decent salvage bid on totalled Volvos. As one salvage buyer told me “We never sell any parts for them - nothing on them ever breaks .” And the description of Portland reminds me of Berkeley in the 70’s and early 80’s - you couldn’t drive three blocks without seeing a parked Citroen. I don’t think I ever saw one actually being driven though.

Around '82 my soon-to-be next wife and I borrowed enough to buy a new silver Turbo wagon. At the time she had a '75 280Z and I was driving a '72 TR6. The relationship was getting serious enough that we thought we should begin to look a little bit respectable.

Anyway, that wagon - with North Carolina “TURBVO” license plate - quickly became our favorite car ever. It was a sleeper of the 1st order and with the Pirelli P6s we could take V6s and small V8s off the line. We ran the socks off it all over the East Coast, then moved it and our household to DC in '87, keeping the “TURBVO” plates in DC of course.

We ran up nearly 200K miles on it. We lost the turbo at 110K miles, due only to me overlooking that the catalytic converter was getting plugged up and was backing up the exhaust gases. That wagon handled as well or better than any of my three Triumphs and might have been the best sleeper car of all time.
Sam