Hagerty.com

Wayne Carini: Not all the cars I’ve let go have let go of me

Like many people in this hobby, I’ve bought and sold my fair share of old cars. But not all the cars I’ve let go have let go of me, and there are certain ones I came to regret getting rid of—for practical reasons, for their cool factor, or, more often than not, simply because of the nostalgia they filled me with.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/11/29/wayne-carini-sold-cars

Great story’s Wayne. I had a similar experience with my first true sports car. I purchased a 1974 Porsche 911 Targa from a customer of mine in the late 1990’s when I was a young exec in San Diego. It was all-original black with chrome targa roll bar car that had all its records since new, etc. I loved that car and remember proudly picking up my father from the airport in it to show him his son had made it driving a Porsche. We didn’t come from much so that was my Dad’s dream to own a 911. By 2002, I had moved back east and brought the 911 with me but with now a young family to raise and the birth of my second child I decided a responsible young father shouldn’t have a car like this and the money should go into his college 529 plan. So I sold it to a colleage of mine who was endlessly asking to buy it. I regretted it 10 mins after I sold it. Fast forward to a couple of years ago and I was going through some family pictures with my wife and there was a picture of my old 911 in the driveway of our place in San Diego. I moaned (for the 1000th time) “why did I sell that car”. My wife sick and tired of hearing that said ’ you should go find it and buy it back’. At first I thought that was crazy as I sold it 15 years ago and had no idea where it was. However when the better half tells you to go buy a classic car, you follow orders so I set out to find it. I started with looking up my old colleage on linkedin and sure enough he was on it. He had sold the car years before to a guy in Maine. I tracked him down and he had moved it to Florida, gotten divorced and had to sell it. He sold it to a real estate guy in Stuart Florida and he remembered his first name was Mark. I then tracked down every real estate guy in Stuart Florida with the name Mark and found him and finally the car! He was incredibly generous to sell me back my car (although the price had appreciated some since 2002) but I was thrilled to have it back. I’ll never forget seeing it for the first time 15 years later and it was exactly as how I remembered it. In the glove box was my note book where I kept track of gas fillups and oil changes. How funny to see that again! Thankfully the money I put in my son’s 529 from the original proceeds grew to an amount slightly higher than what I had to pay for the car and have it shipped up. I don’t see me ever selling it for as long as I can drive and hope to pass it on to my son someday.

Learned quite a bit about clasic cars from watching you on TV several years ago. Learned if you are not an expert…hire one. Unless you don’t care much about managing your cash. The Herb story you did still amazes me. Anyway, my forst car was also a $ 50 VW. A 1962 Ragtop beetle. Engine was in the back seat, and I repaired every dent. Good memories. Now I have a dozen old bugs, and a Karmann Ghia Convertible.

Thanks Wayne. I don’t know any true petrolhead who doesn’t have a similar story. A couple years ago I went looking for my first car, a $50 Austin Mini Se7en, only to find out it had long-ago been crushed. So now I have another Mk1 with as hotted a 1275 as is steerable.

I’ll start with the '61 VW Camper that I “inherited” from a cousin of mine that drove it up to PA from FLA when I was in 9th grade. He couldn’t fix it and handed me the keys and title!! On and off the road over the years (6 volt generator never worked, always had it push started!!) Became a playhouse for my sister’s kids in my parents back yard when I was in college after my time in the USAF. College, moved to FL, etc. and Dad was tired of it being a planter in the back yard. I didn’t have a way to get it to FL, so I said just get rid of it. That was 1984. I cry thinking that it was probably scrapped. Had OGP, flip top lid, full width front seat that flipped for a headboard.
The next one was the little Fiat 124 Sport Coupe that I bought while working at Sewickley Sales and Service. Couldn’t afford one of their Alfa’s but they had this one on the back lot. Loved it. Had some issues and traded it in on a ‘73 Buick Regal on Dad’ advise. PA car with no AC. Took it to my base in Ala. and a month later a dud drives in with a '70 Mustang Grabber Special. Didn’t know it at the time that it was a Grabber, just that it had the C-stripe. Long story short, mid-restoration I sold it to finance a Cobra Kit car build (dreams of being a builder!!). Two years later, my wife finds the owner and buys it back, fully restored!!
Fast forward to 2008, up to my ears in a '69 428 Mach I SCJ Concourse restoration, and I needed cash. Car goes to CA to a guy that whined about the entire time with problems I never had. Ended up having a good friend buy it back from him. At least I still get to see and drive it now and then.

And Wayne, you know about the '67 Ghia 450 SS that I sent you information on. Still waiting to hear about that restoration from Peter Kumar! Would have loved to try that restoration, but nowhere near enough time and cash!!! Sold it for a nice profit.
About a month ago, I finally picked up an Alfa! '91 Spider. We’ll see how long she stays around!!

My dad was into cars when I was a boy in the 60’s and 70’s. Among the more interesting ones we owned were a 63 Grand Prix, a 70 T-Bird and a 72 boattail Riviera. In 1976 he bought a used 72 Corvette convertible 4-speed in Elkhart green with a saddle interior. Our first “muscle” car, and he let me drive it often. He sold it in 1983 when I was in college, and it broke my heart. Fast forward to today. My father passed away 2 years ago, and when I recently started to look for my first classic car, guess what I ended up purchasing? A 72 Elkhart green corvette 4-speed with a saddle interior. I wasn’t looking for that particular car, but when I found it, how could I resist? The smells, the sounds, the memories it evokes transports me back to that happy moment in time. I intend to pass it down to my son.

Hey Wayne how’s Roger doing?