Hagerty.com

Wayne Carini - The Importance of Mentors

Long before Wayne Carini entered the public eye as the host of Chasing Classic Cars on Velocity, he was already an accomplished car restorer with decades of experience. He grew up working alongside his father on pre-war American classics like Packard, Ford, and Duesenberg, and his fascination with European sports cars began with a ride in a 1960 Ferrari 250 SWB when he was nine.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/09/19/wayne-carini-in-his-own-words

I've been following Wayne for years. He is a man of substance. He often gets a bad rap. I think people are just jealous. Perhaps because he out and around so many of us regular folk that people start to form opinions. It;s silly. What other guy in his position walks with everyday Joe's like he does. He shows up at lots of smaller shows in his area. If anyone thinks he is all show, just watch the episode about the Veterans Run from London to Brighton he talks about. He was as hands on as it gets and he gained my respect for sure. 
This letter that he wrote offers loads of insight and advice. It helps prove my opinion that he is a regular guy. His successes are the results of people he was influenced by growing up. And he is still never afraid to ask for advice. Fortunately, he is also now pretty good at giving it. 

As the quality of the car shows now being offered on TV declines, I would like to thank Mr. C. for still producing intelligent, interesting and enjoyable shows that bring classic mechanical’s and their mechanics (Roger!) to us with sensitivity and a love of family to enhance our couch time.
Sandy B

I think Wayne (and Roger) are a wealth of knowledge. It would be interesting to find out how Wayne refined his “taste” over the years and it seems now prefers coach built cars. The London race IS what cars are all about. It is small problems (sometimes big) that you figure out. It is the journey that makes it all worth it. I hope to find myself at pebble beach one day and be enlightened by Mr. Carrini.

Is true that Wayne is negotiating to purchase Ed Iskenderian’s original hot rod?

I wonder if Mr. Carini knew Bob Bourke who was the head designer for Raymond Loewy at Studebaker? The reason that I ask is that I was an acquaintance of Bob and I know that he also lived in CT. I also noticed that Wayne has a '53 or '54 Studebaker Loewy coupe very similar to the one that Bob had…

Always admired Wayne for his unassuming demeanor, his kindness to others, his huge wealth of knowledge and as he stated in the conversation that not all is always peachykeen! And of course his big heart for AutismSpeaks and other charities. The one thing I would love to see on day is maybe a segment where Wayne and Roger share a conversation how they got together in the old days and how it worked out that Roger works with Wayne;then what the other young guys in Wayne’s show think and learn from Roger; Roger is a hughe encyclopedia on cars and his knowledge needs to be preserved! Way to go Wayne and Roger.

A little over 2 years ago, my wife and I had the privilege of hosting Wayne, his buddy Ralph Marano and their wives for 4 days during a concours event. We were blown away by the experience!
Wayne was the perfect gentleman and was so kind to everyone that approached him (and many did), eager to share their enthusiasm for all things “car”! His winsome, unassuming way with everyone was such a pleasure to see firsthand, particularly with his young fans…truly, one of the really “good guys”! He did, after all, have to put up with all of MY inane questions!
Ralph Marsno was a “star” as well…his magnificent Packard concept car won the Hagerty Kid’s trophy, which Ralph promptly awarded to a young man who had asked such great questions about the car during his judging. The boy’s expression was priceless!!

Don’t hold me to it, but I think that Wayne bought the shop from Roger. There was a vague reference made by Roger in a long ago episode of his old workshop. The name escapes me now. But a few years ago I went by F40 after hours and stopped to peer into his windows. On the adjacent building was that name, which has since been removed. If I can ever recall what the name was, I will post it.

That is an interesting article, I have never liked the guy, but it was probably because he is a typical used car salesman when you deal with him, full of hype, BS, exaggerations, and snooty superior attitude. But, in this article he sounds fairly normal, thanks for sharing and giving me a different perspective on the guy.