Hagerty.com

We find treasure in Alaska with barn-find ’41 Mercury truck, rare ’57 Chevy, and Boss 302

When searching for forgotten old cars, there are a few things you can do to maximize your chances of success. Barn Find Hunter extraordinaire Tom Cotter always suggests arriving to a potential find in a classic car, which helps break the ice and establish that you’re one of the vintage-loving tribe. Tom couldn’t manage to get his Ford woody wagon up to Alaska from his home in North Carolina, so he borrowed a friend’s green Shelby GT350 for his car-searching needs in America’s 49th state. I was along for the ride, and there’s no doubt that the pony car worked like a charm wherever we went.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/06/barn-find-hunter-alaska-mercury-truck

Another great video , Tom . If you’re ever in Ohio and need a ride along , please look me up !

Bob

The windowed ‘57 Delivery. Chevy made them from at least 1955-1960. Few know more about them then I do. Check facebook. You will find my group dedicated to Sedan Deliveries and windowed Deliveries. Mine came from a field in southern IN next to the Ohio river. I bought it October. 1981 and still own it.

man cool video series, just not enough time spent on the midget

Another great episode! Was in Alaska back in 1960 but don’t remember too many of the cars I saw then- I was only 10!

As everybody else says, I love this Barn Find Hunter series. I know time is a factor and Tom cannot profile every vehicle in these private collections but I wish he had given a little time to the late 50s Lincoln (or Continental) in the background. I love these cars. Regarding the Boss 302, I’m not trying to be critical but just pointing out a couple of things I saw. I don’t think the door speakers are factory original because the door shell doesn’t allow for them and a hole must be cut unless they’re surface mount. But we all did that back then so it’s hard to find any car from that era without this (I wish now I didn’t do that) alteration. The other is the hood. This one had hood locks from a Mach I or aftermarket. Same with the hood scoop, it is from a 69 or 70 Mach I or aftermarket. The Boss 302 had either a Shaker or no scoop at all. Easy modification to change back and even the radiator support had provisions for factory locks since the Mach I had them. This did appear to have an option kind of rare for this car; the vinyl seat material I believe called comfort weave. I had a Boss 302 which I put a lot of miles on and it had this option. The rear slats were also an option which mine had but removed before I bought mine along with the original 780 Holley. I had to make do with a Motorcraft 4300 until bought a universal 780 Holley. Mine also had a tilt wheel, interval WS wipers and a little light that showed the parking brake was set. After I sold mine I found these rare options on a Boss made it much more valuable than I sold it for. No, I’m not mad at the buyer, I could have paid for the Marti Report and found this out like he did. One area where it lost value was those stupid door speakers I installed.

When I moved to Fairbanks, I assumed that cars would be viewed as strictly utilitarian appliances, to be used up and discarded. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover a world class automobile museum with many prize winning pre-WW II cars. The Fountainhead Auto Museum has an excellent website. The owner’s wife collects unusual historic women’s clothing, so there’s even something for the ladies who might not be that interested in the cars. Definitely worth a visit if you’re visiting Fairbanks! Hopefully, a future edition will show the results of an encounter between an AC Cobra and a hungry bear. (Not wise to leave anything which smells good in a car given the number of bears here in Alaska!)

Tom if you make it back up to Alaska, I’m in Anchorage and can show you a lot of neat firebirds, including my buddies 72 455HO Formula survivor.
I made a YouTube video of it.

Another great job on these videos!! I really enjoy them & their down to earth presentation & informative discussions with the owners - make me always look forward to seeing them in my email inbox & always finding the time to view them. Much appreciated Tom & Hagerty!!!

WOW!! Nice Find!! Wouldn’t think there’d be these kinds of finds (In of all places) Alaska. Pontiac made some great cars in their day, sorry to have seen GM end the brand. I feel the same way about Chrysler pulling the plug on Plymouth! Thanks for sharing the video in this post. .

That Firebird is a nice car for a number of reasons - the car itself, the year, it’s condition, and no more Pontiacs. I have a black '64 Parisienne (Canadian model) Custom Sport convertible. Alberta car, so not a speck of rust anywhere. That 455 is in very nice shape…would love to see it when it’s had a power washer and a bit of TLC applied…