Hagerty.com

Well Vetted: Uniting the mid-engine C8 Corvette with its C1 and C4 brethren

Two days dicing three Corvettes on California’s heavenly Highway 33 north of Ojai is as close as any mortal will come to a taste of the afterlife. Three Hagerty scribes and a photo crew binged on this banquet of lefts, rights, climbs, and dives on the impeccable asphalt meandering through the Los Padres National Forest and the Topatopa Mountains. Ravines were dabbed in brown, green, and fire-ravaged black, peaks were crowned with sunbeams, and we enjoyed glimpses of the sky-blue Pacific. That old chestnut, “…to die for,” was surely coined here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/03/23/uniting-mid-engine-c8-corvette-with-c1-and-c4-brethren

IDK.Looks like a cartoon character.Not my taste.

1 Like

Ugly as hell, inside and out. An incalculable disappointment to Corvette fans who expected a little tradition in their choice of performance vehicle. Chevy (oops, GM) could have gone to the mid-engine layout without too much loss of the enthusiast’s enthusiasm if they had just preserved some of–any of–the 'Vette heritage

I’ve been saying ever since this car debuted to those who don’t like it that I am thankful Chevrolet took the leap to produce a mid-engine car. If the Corvette did not adapt to the changing times and automotive market, there would be NO Corvette in another 10 years. You just can’t keep selling the same old product forever.

Porsche and Ferrari don’t seem to be having any trouble with staying connected with their past while “improving the breed.” And of course the Mustang is dead, too, isn’t it? Gotta change everything to survive? I don’t think so…

UGLY! It’s horrible. Who cares about shaving a few seconds off “track times” for a real world sports car? A Corvette’s mission is to look COOL and be fast and fun in the real world. This car is a disaster. That’s what happens when you use internet click bait numbers and stats as a determining factor in designing and engineering your sports car. Two really good Corvettes in a row, putting the car on a great path, and now this…

Don’t really care for the forward-sloping, pointy nose. And the side air intakes should be standard as body-colored (currently an option).

Really? It is beautiful and at first glance can be mistaken for a C7.

Once again, a good article with a different point of view shown to all. I happen to own several generation Corvettes, starting with a very nice C-2 Big Block 396 cu in convertible up to a C-7 Z06 convertible, plus a few generations in between, as well (C3, C4, and a C5). I happen to like them all and drive them all.
One thing that makes all the difference is how each progressive generation has improved the breed and allowed the Corvette line continue to meet the new challenges of the competition (Both foreign and domestic). I happen to think the C-8 Corvette convertible is beautiful and shows what GM can do when they set their mind to it. Progress in the automotive world means making positive changes in both performance and great looking styling. No doubt that the C-8 is off to a great start and I look forward to seeing them on the streets. As for the older vintage Corvette, they still look good to me.
But to call the new C-8 Corvette “Ugly” means you have not seen the transformation that the latest generation represents. I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but I think just the opposite. Corvettes of any generation are still something to behold. Just my two cents worth here.

I’ll say it again - IMHO the new Vette seems way over styled on the outside. And this article shows the decline. GM went from clean and classic, to dull bloat to what looks like the designers had a box full of design cues and decided to just slap em all on the outside. At least when Lambos Ferraris and the other high end builders go bold, they still keep the class in their styles while kicking ass in performance. I think GM missed a golden opportunity with their first mid engine format. And sadly, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I think we may want to wait, like with all new models, until its out on the road a while to make any final judgements.
I already know that the confining nature and limited rear visibility would put me on the no list… but admittedly that is part of why I have driven Chevy trucks as my primary vehicle since the late 60’s.
Still like the '58 & ‘59 C1’s, and was intent on getting one, restored and with all the docs. Then I found out from a recent seller/ owner that his friends in the 6’ 200lb range did NOT fit in the car. That was very disappointing, but I was glad he was honest up front.

I have owned 14 Corvettes and still have five of them. My first was a C3 which I still love although the C3’s are very tight inside and almost impossible to enter without the tilt-telescopic steering column. I love them all especially the C2 and the C6 Z06 I own
. Now as to the C8…I really like it. It looks better than the C7 to me and is quite comfortable even though I am over 6 feet tall and on the upper side of 200 pounds. The styling is good and I appreciate that a car Zora wanted to produce is finally here. I definitely prefer the mono-tone option to the blackish side inlets and exterior trim.

I like the C8 a lot. And the rapid blue is fantastic! The C2 is still my favorite.

Not sure I get all the arguments in the article, and previously by GM, that front engine sports cars are dead. Somebody tell Jaguar, Aston Martin and Mercedes. Ferrari has both front and mid.

To all the nay-sayers regarding the C8’s appearance and mid-engine, I would just refer them to the fact Chevy has drawn a line in the sand and is now taking orders for 2021 models. All the 2020’s have been sold. Yes, there will be some devote Vette fans that will shun the C8, but there will be more sports car enthusiasts that will now come on board.

I do note that the tan (or saddle or whatever) interior of the C8 causes the same problem I have with my C5 LeMans Commemorative: a distracting reflection in the windshield on sunny days. Even the camera sees it, which means it must be worse for the driver. I had to resort to installing one of those dashboard mats (in black) just so I could drive the car on a sunny day. Chevy needs to rethink this.

My wife & I love our C7 Grand Sport automatic coupe. We also love our 89 C4 automatic coupe we have owned for 31 years since new. (See the C4 Registry 2020 calender, August 2020) Each presents its own driving experience. We have yet to use “launch control” in the C7 after 18 months of ownership. The car is a delight to see and to be seen in. If a C8 is in our future, we will wait for a Grand Sport, fatter tire/fender model in a convertible. Hopefully, by then the designers will have taken some of the “busy” design cues out of the car, especially the back end.

I think that I have to agree with the comments that this was a necessary change for the Corvette to keep it competitive with the other sports car entries on the market. Styling is a bit of a personal thing- but is obviously taking its cues from Ferrari- not a lot of differences with a 488 other than the details and 4-5 times the prices (fully loaded). Just got back from a track day at Daytona at the end of January with my C7 convertible (standard base car)- was running with the big boys and passing more than a few 430s, 458s and 488s- even if I was down about 200 HP to the 488- goes to show the car can perform and its all about the experience and the fun- so take the C8 for what it is- the natural evolution of the Corvette marque- and a great bang for the buck! Can’t wait to see what the C8 will do on the track.

Poor execution of the right theme. Went to my local Porsche dealer and bought a 911.

Could someone explain to me what “stiffer suspension bushings” are in a C-4?

The C-8 is just awful. I doubt that Chevrolet will be able to sell any, so when they start giving them away I want them to feel free to drop off one in my driveway.