Hagerty.com

What is the premium for a low-mileage collector car?

You’ve found it. A gently-driven classic with an odometer barely out of elementary school. A car sheltered from the world, naive to its roughness, its indiscriminate tendency to wear down. So how valuable is it, exactly, compared to more seasoned steel?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/10/11/low-mileage-collector-car

I thought these cars were meant to be driven to make them better…less than 100 miles on 10 y/old car?..not for me, could be something wrong…

Don’t forget old tires with next to no mileage on them are dangerous. Don’t ask me how I know.
After my tire shed I researched the subject and experts say 7 years is a point at which you should change tires. My Bentley GT Continental owner’s manual suggests 6 years.

Fascinating piece, but the answer is that Always Collectible cars are for those who collect cars as others would collect other objects of great rarity and beauty. Any use degrades the desire the collector feels for them. The Collectible Now cars, on the other hand, should be called Enthusiast Cars. These people want to enjoy their classic, to drive it, to share their passion with fellow enthusiasts. They love the smell of a hot engine, the sound of fine engineering and how it feels on a fine twisty road early in the morning. The author says the reason enthusiasts prefer more than 100 miles is not clear, but that is a Collector’s perspective: very little causes as much hidden damage to a car as sitting around doing nothing. To really understand the market, you need to understand how the buyers make their value decisions.