Hagerty.com

What it’s like to drive the very first Porsche car

"Don't mention the war! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it," says John Cleese as Basil Fawlty in The Germans, an episode of the 1970s TV comedy Fawlty Towers. Ironically, the series still has a huge following in Germany, where lines are still quoted. But like Basil Fawlty, I'm going to have to mention the war, for it was then and in the preceding years that we find the birth of Porsche's carmaking past.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/08/02/what-its-like-to-drive-the-first-porsche-car

Will this car be shown at Rennsport in September?

My first drive was in a 1957 Speedster. It was 1968, and the car belonged to my dad. I have been passionate about Porsche cars ever since. I now restore 356s for fun here in So. Cal. …Jim.

The Formula Vee guys have been flipping the ring gear to setup the VW transaxle for mid engine use for well over 50 years. Is that what was actually done on this car? Is the Porsche engineer aware of this?

Fortunate is the person who gets to sit in this very special car, let alone drive it!