Hagerty.com

Where the less-than-elite meet to cheat

“Well, I didn’t see anywhere in the rulebook where the wheelbase had to be.” This year’s Amelia Island Concours hosted a great seminar entitled “Racing Around the Rules,” in which various team owners and industry figures told a variety of tales about how they’d bent or broken regulations in IMSA and elsewhere. What’s fascinating to me about the presentation is the general good humor of everyone involved. As is also the case with NASCAR, there’s a certain statute of limitations, expressed or implied, on cheating in professional racing. If you got caught at the time, you might be a bad guy; if you reveal your secrets years later, it usually results in nothing more than a finger wag and a good laugh.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/10/09/where-the-less-than-elite-meet-to-cheat

Reading these took me back to my Auto Cross days when I got the tip from another driver that if I couldn’t afford a truck and trailer to haul my car, or fit my race tires into my Miata I was allowed to add a hitch and pull my gear on a small trailer and I could still stay in my stock class. So I checked the rules and this was in fact true. Not having to street my race rubber or have a friend bring it was great, what was better was the full second plus the tow bar pulled off my times. I was never competitive enough for it to mater much, but I thought it was interesting that there was an SCCA rule that flat out allowed frame stiffening. Bonus, I was forced to run a ball or tow ring in the receiver for added center of gravity shift because the SCCA required me to have something on the back of the car that could be used as a tow point. It isn’t always cheating or intentional, sometimes it is a happy accident.

@bblhed - That is quite interesting!