Hagerty.com

Why aren’t the 1955–75 Citroën DS and ID worth more?

If you’re a cutting-edge artist, musician, or entrepreneur in Europe today, you would still do well to drive an immaculate, aerodynamic Citroën DS. Sixty-three years after its introduction at the 1955 Paris Auto Show, the DS (a pun on the French word for Goddess, “De-esse”) still looks surreal. How many cars appear in futuristic movies like Blade Runner, Gattaca, and Back to the Future II when they’re consigned to today’s scrap heap?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/02/why-isnt-the-citroen-ds-and-id-worth-more

There you have it - these cars needed to be aerodynamic because the engines were pretty gutless.

An interesting car, to say the least. I had the good fortune to learn in my Mom’s '69-1/2 ID19.
4-speed on the column, gigantic spread between the gear ratios, high-revving hemi(!) 1.9 L4 and of course the hydro-pneumatic suspension, inboard front disc-brakes (with cooling ducts), and Michelin XAS (I think) tires all gave a very-good handling, fast (aero) but somewhat sluggish in acceleration. With 3 passengers, I managed a 0-60mph in the 12-second range, decent enough for 1977. Our ID19 would roll effortlessly at 70-80mph for hours…The DS Pallas w/ V-6 was actually quick, but our budget had us at the bottom; still a lovely car for open road work, with an unmatched comfortable ride.

I’d say the answer to the question presented in the title is that they were too popular and had a 20 year product run – “Citroën built 1,455,746 DS…” That’s a lot of cars. And, yes, most are long gone after 40+ years since the last new one was sold in 1975 (1976 if you count the Breaks) but still… Porsches are rare because back in the earlier days models/ years were made in the hundreds. The Chapron decapotable usine cars support this view (1365 cars made – not sure where the 1246 figure came from?) so rarity (and more!) drive pricing.

Oh ya, and at least ‘over here’ their mechanicals scare people. But once set up properly (and not rusty) they’re a totally usable, reliable daily driver.