Hagerty.com

Why I drive: Dave Kunz's '65 Ford Mustang

To those of us who love seeing the world through a windshield and over the rim of a steering wheel, Dave Kunz’s attachment to his 1965 Ford Mustang makes perfect sense. When you’re lucky enough to get a perfect day on your favorite empty stretch of road, everything else fades away.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/02/28/dave-kunzs-65-ford-mustang

Nice article. A simple explanation on the joys of owning and driving a car…any car. Unfortunately, people are not considering this great freedom when they drone on endlessly about driverless-cars. And perhaps that loss (or theft) of Freedom is what driverless cars is all about…only time will tell.
But we are seeing a young generation that see cars as merely a means to an end. To get from Point A to B, with very little if any interest in owning or driving one. Some of my collector friends see a future where cars go the way of the horse. Kept by only the wealthy on private “ranches” and driven on closed courses, away from the public. I hope I’ve shuffled off this mortal coil by then.

Doesn’t Dave Kunz usually drive a very recognizable Highland Green 68 Fastback?

Empty stretch of road? Well, good luck with that around here. I, too, have a car that does the same thing for me and it is the 1968 Cougar I have owned since 1968. It is my time capsule as it still has my first traffic ticket in the glove box, my puka shell necklace which was big in San Diego, and my SDSU sticker on the rear window dating to September 1971. I can sit in the car, in the dark garage, and immediately get transported back in time.

However, driving the car is no longer as much fun as it once was. Too many cars on the road, too much congestion and too many cars in the wrong hands that can out handle and out stop the Cougar. Consequently I am always on alert and the days of just tooling down the road with not a care in the world are gone. Example driving through Napa Valley in 1985 was a pleasure and now it is a nightmare.

Hi Dave. You may remember me, Dave Severin from Columbia Pictures. I’m glad to see you still driving your Mustangs.

!

My mom bought a brand new 65 Mustang, it was a 289 2bbl coupe, but it did have a 3 speed on the console.

Burgundy with a black interior. In 66 my dad, mom and my brother and (oh and our 65 lb lab) drove from NY to Chicago through Canada!

I think we had the optional seat belts.

I remember my dad doing 80 across the plains of Canada.

I took my road test in that car in 1973.

Fast forward to 1974, my parent offered me the car as my first driver; only had 65k on it, but no one wanted their mom’s old car and Mustangs weren’t that uncommon.

I ended up buying a 68 Chevelle Malibu 327/325.

They ended up keeping the stang until 1985 and then it had just 102k on it.

Almost totally original, except we had to replace the drivers door that was hit by a truck.

I wasn’t in a position to take the car on and they ended up selling it for $3000, to a father son who were going to do a resto.

It was a really clean original owner unmolested car with almost no rust.

I remember my dad buying the Ford factory service manual, it said 1965 Ford Falcon and Mustang; we all know why that was.

I had many good times in that car with my girlfriend and friends.

Boy it was scary in the snow with those small bias ply tires.

Great story Dave, car looks great and sounds even better.

Take good care of it.

Gary

Nice story and the car looks great. I enjoyed reading all the comments to. A friend of mine had a 64 1/2 or 65 Mustang that same color but with a 6 cylinder automatic. His parents bought it new, then a few years later it was given to his older sister and then he got it in 1972 or so. We were in high school and he would drive it to our high school hockey games occasionally. The trunk had a hole in it on one side so you had to be careful where you put your hockey gear so you wouldn’t lose it, lol. I think he sold it for a couple hundred bucks and bought a new 1975 Gremlin. My other high school buddy bought a 65 Mustang convertible with a 289 HP and a 4 speed from a neighbor where his aunt and uncle had a summer home in Indiana. The neighbor had a bunch of older cars on his property including a Corvette, but back then they were just old cars and could be bought cheap. I wish I would have bought the Vette. That Mustang needed some body work but still looked really cool, he put a new convertible top and new tires on it and that was about it. The car burned a little oil but that car was really fast or at least it seemed so in 1973.