Hagerty.com

Why the 1949 Cadillac Series 62 still surprises and delights

They say people want the cars they have a personal connection to. If so, there’s no way to easily explain why a 69-year-old Cadillac should appeal to someone who is only 48. The car came out of Cadillac’s Clark Street plant in Detroit two decades before I was born.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/07/23/why-the-1949-cadillac-series-62-still-surprises-and-delights

I own a 1949 Cadillac Series 62 Club Coupe, one of the most beautiful Harley Earl designs and the first Motor Trend Car of the Year and first GM OHV V-8. The car is stunning to look at and drives as well as it looks. It is a fresh nut-and-bolt restoration and will make its debut at the Radnor Hunt Concours in September.

@lhulber - Awesome! Love that color combined with the minimal chrome. How long did the restoration take?

Restoration of this 1949 Cadillac Series 62 Club Coupe took 2 years. I am only the third owner and have every document from the original sales order in February 1949.

Is the interior and upholstery similar to what came on a Series 62 Coupe? Is it leather? I own a 1952 6219X Sedan. The Coupe is really stunning – the nicest fastback design ever.

The exterior color, Lucerne Green Metallic, and the Tan leather interior are the original colors of this Series 62 Club Coupe.

It is heartwarming to read of one’s discovery of the wonderfulness of an old Cadillac. I own a 1956 Fleetwood Sixty Special, arguably the last of the old style post war Cadillac cars and I am pleased to hear another make the same observations as I when it comes to the intentional but dignified way they go down the road. It never feels powerful but always has the necessary power, the original Cadillac OHV V8 is as smooth as silk. I love to drive my Fleetwood.

Danny Plotkin

Cadillac%20Nov%202012%20(7)|666x500

The 1949-1956 Cadillacs are among my favorites, beside my 1941 Cabriolet of course.

Our 1954 convertible is one of the most comfortable cross-country cruisers ever. Last year we drove her just over 10,000 miles between mid-March and mid-June, enjoying friends and AACA Meets and Tours along the way from home in New Orleans to Palm Springs and Santa Monica - touring with the Motherlode Region and visiting friends and family in Oregon and Washington - driving the Columbia River Gorge before touring Gettysburg, Minneapolis, and judging at Independence. This year we got a late start but did drive to judge at the AACA Grand National in Greensburg, PA before touring the Cape Cod area. The Caddy sat home while we used the 'Vette to tour Ontario, Canada last week, but will be on the road again for the AACA Founders and Sentimental Tours later this year. Nothing better represents the style, comfort, and elegance

1954%20Caddy%20-%20Taos%20New%20Mexice%20-%20Makes%20Waves%20Wherever%20it%20Goes of the mid-1950s in my opinion, than to cruise this beautiful country, top-down, in our 1954 Cadillac convertible.

Here’s our '49 Series 62 Cadillac convertible which has been a revered member of our family for 23 years. It has proven to be a reliable road car, a weekend cruiser and a winner of concours trophies. It gets many comments from admirers who are “transported” back into their own world of memories.

Why would your do a nut & bolt restoration and do the interior in leather? A beautiful car and when judged will loose points due to the non-authentic interior.

To all the '49 and '56 owners, I have the pleasure of having one of each, an original '49 Series 62 and a '56 Fleetwood Sixty Special, both that were inherited from my father. I agree that the engines are smooth and the rides are great! We have done most of Route 66 in the '56…truly a trip of a lifetime! I always loved the convertibles though…maybe someday!

To respond to Herman’s question regarding the leather interior in my 1949 Cadillac Series 62 Club Coupe, this car has a Special Order “SO” Tan Trim No. 61 convertible leather interior ordered when new and has “SO” stamped on the factory trim tag. Special Order paint colors and interiors from other Series were available from Cadillac for many years. I also have the original sales order for my car which reflects this additional cost. Thanks for your question.

Hello, I happened upon this article and enjoyed reading and learning about the 1949 Cadillac. I had the pleasure of cruising, or more accuracy, being chauffeured around central Cuba for a day in 2016 in what may have been a 1949 Cadillac (see photos). For driver and car, $40 USD. Most old American cars that are still alive in Cuba have been retrofitted with diesel engines. Diesel fuel is cheaper and more readily available, as are parts. A little-known fact is that the main reason thousands of classic American cars still roll down the road in Cuba is that they were one of the few things Fidel allowed Cubans to own, trade, or sell after the Revolution. Cuban’s have put heroic efforts into keeping them running for that very reason. They “own” little to nothing else. If pre-1959 classic cars are your thing, I would highly recommend visiting Cuba. You won’t regret. If you have questions, your welcome to email me, charles.boesen@gmail.com, or visit my Facebook page: KissesFromCuba. Buen dia

!