Hagerty.com

Why the 2020 Shelby GT500 is the all-time ultimate Mustang

Ford’s 2020 Shelby GT500 has over 700 horsepower. Let that sink in. Beneath a fiberglass hood, replete with standard hood pins, lurks a 5.2-liter aluminum engine force-fed by an Eaton roots-type supercharger. Codenamed the Predator, this powerplant comes standard in Ford’s new GT500 and stakes the claim as the Blue Oval’s most powerful engine, ever. There are even rumors the final horsepower figure is well over 750.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/01/14/2020-shelby-gt500-ultimate-mustang

That looks like a car I would want to drive. I wish it had a shift lever in the console, though. You’re going to need deep pockets to put one in your garage. Those are the kind of cars Ford wants to build - high margin.

Ya, I’m a chevy guy. Actually I’m an odd mix… Classic Chevy, new Ford including the mustang. They did a tremendous job with the styling, it’s a sexy car and adding the performance is awesome. First real update of a mustang that made me say “HEY!!”. But ya if they were asking $75K or something for the GT350R, which could be taken “in a straight line” by most supercharged standard mustangs at half the price. This thing is going to be a collector car , which will cause Dealers to ask really large sums over MSRP (which will be questionable to start). But I love it, nice job Ford. If you can find it in your heart to see one in my driveway that would be great. But I want green!! :slight_smile:

The 2020 GT500 looks great except that does not have a manual transmission available. DCT’s are faster however I enjoy the feel and involvement of a manual.

They seem to neglect to tell you how much over 4000 lbs. it weighs. The Corvette ZR-1 is over 500 lbs. less.

4 words: No manual. I’m out.

Currently, I own a 2017 GT350 and love it. I thought long and hard about getting the GT500 but decided to keep my GT350. My reasons for not going for the GT500: 1. No Manual (Stick) 2. HP with Supercharger not high enough compared to the wide body hellcat of 797 3. Price – I had to fight like mad to get my GT350 near MSRP. My local dealers in Seattle charge from $20K plus on the Shelby cars 4. Looks-- The side fender vents and front splitter on the GT350 are wicked. I am sure the GT500 will be popular just not in my garage…

Totally agree on the stick. I get bored very fast thus a manual is a must for me…

I’ve heard $70K to $80K MSRP plus ADM dealer markup thus near or over $100K in the Seattle area. The GT350R were selling around $120K plus last year…

BUT,have they fixed all the issues the Mustangs have been having with motors and transmissions. Once a Ford ,always a Fix Or Repair Daily, just my opinion.

I do know many people at the car shows have had issues with there’s, and most of those cars aren’t beaten to death either, but they still fail.

You can have my share of them to be honest.

One thing the author got wrong is about the 427FE.
Perhaps one of the most reliable and durable racing engines of all time. Even using much oil more than the usual amount of a race engine is not any different then any other type either.

Interesting to see Ford putting a dual-clutch in such a visible product after another dual-clutch got such a bad reputation in the Fiesta and Focus. I owned one, and it wasn’t that bad, but a lot of people hated it. The fatal flaw with the Fiesta’s DCT was reportedly it’s “dry” clutch design. The unit in this Mustang is a “Highly efficient, ‘virtually dry’ wet dual clutch”. I figured the DCT was going to be one of those engineering items that looks great on paper but dosen’t work out in real life, but it’s interesting to see Ford giving it another go. Hopefully it will work out better this time.
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_DCT_0318.pdf

No stick? Heretics! Shelby is turning over in his grave.

Im with you echarnbo I drive the car the car doesn’t drive me that why I will never have a adaptive cruise control either all that radar junk and beeping forget it