Hagerty.com

Why the C3 Corvette’s bad rap is beginning to fade

The L82 doesn’t get a value add because we already it as an engine option. We call out the RPO to make it clear.

I bought my first Corvette in May 1976 as a 20 year old. I paid $5,300 for a very clean 454 Air coupe. Brands Hatch Green. 4 speed. Had to sell in 78 for college. Got married raised 3 kids. Have owned 2 GTOs, a Monte Carlo SS and 77 Grand Prix as fun cars til 2015. That year I bought a silver 73 coupe that I love to drive. I paid $10,400. Really wanted a 67, but that is a pipe dream. I have rebuilt all the mechanical parts and replace the self destructing front bumper cover. It is a thrill to drive. My wife and I take it out quite often. I am now 63 years young. When I am gone, my granddaughter gets it. She will be the coolest kid on the block. A timeless design. Want to see a You Tube video of me and the car? Type in George Mattar 1973 Corvette.

“while the C3 is perhaps a little nose heavy” Huh??? The early small block cars are 48F/52R. Worst case big block with air conditioning is 52F/48R. The former certainly isn’t nose heavy. Some say that the later cars with the lighter weight aluminum rearend and composite spring handle better due to their perfect 50F/50R weight distribution.