Hagerty.com

Why the Jeep CJ-7 isn’t as red hot as the Bronco and Blazer

If you’ve been paying attention the collector car market over the past couple of years, you wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Jeeps of all kinds are among the hottest vehicles out there. Trucks and SUVs, particularly the classic two-door 4x4 variety, moved from a virtual commodity to a desirable collector vehicle. Jeep’s CJ-7 is cut from the same cloth, and its value improved about 15 percent in the last two years. So the CJ-7 is holding strong, but why hasn’t it seen the same stratospheric surge as two-door SUVs like Broncos and Blazers?

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/12/20/jeep-cj-7-market-outlook

Having restored a CJ and a Bronco I can say the difference in quality of build has a lot to do with the lackluster market for these Jeeps.

If you’re talking auction sales a Jeep Jeepster Commando sold at Mecum a year or two ago for $44K. Even though the CJ’s have flattened out other Jeep short run “specialty” vehicles are doing okay: FC, Commando and the Gladiator Pickup.

By the way Hagerty why don’t you have any of these on your value estimator? I’ve tried a couple of times to value and or insure my Commando with you but you won’t insure it because it isn’t parked in a garage. Sorry but my garage can’t handle a 16 ft vehicle.

I wish this article also included the CJ-5…

Love my cj7. When i was 18 i had a mint 78 levis edition 304 auto quadratrac. The moment it left my driveway, i was kicking myself. 15 years later i bought a basket case 84. A four year build ensued which eveything from replacing the frame , axles, suspension to body and paint. It has a 4.5" Rubicon express suspension, amc 360, t18 4spd, dana 20 case, d44 rear diff,d30 front, headers with flowmasters 40’s, 35x 15.50 x15 swamper tsls on dick cepek dc1s. The paint is john deere blitz black. Although it looks like it could go anywhere. It has never seen rain let alone mud. Its my cruiser and ice cream getter.
I will never sell it. No matter what their value. Plus my daughters would lose it as they both have lais claim to it.

I’d like to see an analysis of the price of old Toyota Landcruisers as the “new ones” were introduced and afterwards.
Also Bronco hype is super hot; what pressure and aftermath will the upcoming new ones do to that market?

I recognize this piece is on the CJ , just waiting for the 1998 ZJ 5.9 THE GRAND DADDY OF ALL HYPO JEEPS ! To appreciate and take its position as one of Jeep’s all time superstars!

Or perhaps we should be comparing Blazer and Bronco to the full size Cherokee or Wagoneer. CJ/Wrangler are in separate class I’d think. I believe you would find more similarities, both in build and price.

The expression I remember back then was:
“Everybody thinks owning a Jeep CJ would be great, until they actually own one.”
It was kinda true, unfortunately. Quality didn’t shape up until well after the Wrangler was introduced and the bugs worked out.

What a crock, typical AMC slander. Jeep CJ’s are so basic and simple, ask the military. How on earth could anyone say they had “issues” or needed the "bugs worked out? Out of what, the AM radio?

I worked for an AMC dealership and currently restore them, kind of have first hand experience.

Remember though, all the cars in the above photo are from the swan song of AMCs good old days. Even then, the CJ5 almost killed the Jeep line with the publicity nightmare of rollover vehicles. (FWIW, it’s been several decades and I forget how many wars since the military used a Jeep product).

Don’t forget gems like the Gremlin, the Pacer, the Matador, all produced around the time of the CJs I’m talking about. They kept the tradition going with the underpowered eye sore known as the Concorde - total garbage.

Even their trucks had inexcusable problems. My dad bought an '83 Cherokee brand new, with a 360V8 topped by a 2 barrel carb that stalled more times than I can count - a safety hazard puling out into traffic until the dealer finally fixed it. Also had the four speed manual which would have been cool if it didn’t routinely pop out of gear driving down hills in any gear. Don’t even get me started on under-dash air conditioning that was good for keeping your knees cold and not much else. Might as well have been straight out of JC Whitney. They couldn’t even get the back door handles to function properly - the button would angle in and get stuck just by pushing it.

There was a reason Chrysler was able to pick them up on the cheap in 1986 - that company was a basket case by then.

Here we go again, American Motors getting slammed by another “car expert”. Are you saying the Chrysler Concorde is total garbage? Or did you mean the AMC Concord without the “e”. At least get the spelling correct for the vehicle you are slamming, or your comment loses all integrity. The article is about the Jeep CJ-7 and that is what the comments should be about, not extraneous, vindictive comments because of a bad '83 Cherokee.

I have an '82 CJ-7 Renegade that I purchased off of the lot in November of '81. We drove the heck out of that Jeep, 4 wheeling in Moab and Colorado, hundreds of ski trips through the ice and snow. NEVER did this vehicle fail us or leave us stranded. 130,000 miles on it now and I’m restoring it. The best and funnest vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Seems like a valid theory at least, as to the values.

Does anyone recall the CJ-6?

I had a YJ Wrangler which I sold when I was reducing the number of cars I owned. Always regretted it since I did everything I asked and then some. I always liked the interchangeable parts with the CJ7.
I just like the CJ/Wrangler styles, sizes, ability to do everything except cruise on the Inter-state at the speed limit. Yes, I had a 4-cylinder and even took into the Mojave Desert with 160,000 miles on it.
Why writing about the CJ7? I just love the history of the 4-cylinder Jeeps on everything down to the CJ-7/mid-1990s eras. I got interested in Jeep CJ/Wrangler again so I mentioned in passing I would like another Jeep for restoring. Next thing, I bought a 1960 CJ-5 that my wife found. It does not matter what model, year, age, condition, etc because to me the value is. more in the history and character of the Jeep. I know I will have more value in latter years but just knowing I will be building something that I can travel the backroads, fire trails, and other interesting sites is what I am looking for; not increasing value on potential collector cars. I have gone that route and did enjoy it, BUT something about being involved with a Jeep (whether restoring or driving) gives me deep satisfaction. Always loved the WWII flat fender Jeep.

I can see you have the jeep sickness. Lol. Once they’re in your blood, they are near impossible to shake.

basically because Fiat/Chrysler still have something to do with the Jeep name don’t they? Besides the fact that Jeep never put a small V8 into their CJ-7 that i’m aware, of and both GM and Ford did. That’s enough right there to keep their value and desirability down compared to GM & Ford.

Wrong. I had a 78 Renegade with a factory 304 v8, auto, quadractrac.

I stand corrected on the V8 in a Jeep model. Thanks Shawn. The sad fact still remains that Fiat/Chrysler still have their hands in the Jeep brand and that can’t be a good thing. If it wasn’t for Dodge trucks and the Challenger car model I don’t think Fiat Chrysler would sell anything that I would even be interested in. I haven’t owned a Chrysler product since 1970. When Mercedes stepped away from them several years back that was a pretty good indicator that they (Chrysler) was going by the wayside. As long as they are producing Hellcats, Demons and the latest one they just released recently, which I can’t remember the name, they seem to be finding people with enough money to buy a few of those models, but that alone won’t keep them in business.

What does HYPO stand for?