Hagerty.com

Why the new Corvette doesn’t offer a manual transmission

After taking six decades to move the Corvette to mid-engine, Chevy ventured beyond clutch pedals without hesitation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/11/06/why-new-corvette-doesnt-offer-manual-transmission
1 Like

I know a bit about cars but I’m by no means an engineer, and I’m sure GM knows what they’re doing, but if the tranny has a capacity for taking a max of 570 f/lbs of torque and the engine makes 470 (net) isn’t that cutting it a little close in terms of load bearing force?
Just wondering what some engineers out there might think.

1 Like

Blah, blah, blah… No clutch pedal; the ultimate sin in an a supposed enthusiast car. Next!

4 Likes

It sure beats a Blue Flame six mated to a Powerglide!

3 Likes

I recently sold my 4 speed 59 Corvette after 30 years of ownership and received an amount that is well on the way to enable the acquisition of a C8 which was a consideration. Upon learning that it is available with automatic only, my decision is: no 3d pedal, no interest. Lets go see what Ford has to offer in a new Mustang GT…

4 Likes

I’m with drhino. The dual clutch automatic may be technologically superior but no clutch pedal; no deal. We’ll keep our 2019 Z06 conv…

3 Likes

Hey, when I ordered my C-7 Z-06 Convertible, I intentionally chose the 8-Speed automatic over the 7 speed manual. WHY ? Because it was FASTER 0-60 mph than a manual transmission car. Pure and simple, the new automatic transmissions can out perform the identical car with a manual transmission. That is why all Formula 1 cars have gone to Paddle Shift (automatic) transmissions. Faster is faster. Period. When I want to drive a stick stick Corvette, I have some older C2 and C3 Vettes in my Pole Barn that can do this for me. But the new C-7 Vettes are amazing and the technology is World Class. Only the people who will never buy C-8 are complaining about the “lack of a manual transmission.” For everyone else, we will gladly take a faster car that exceeds every other aspect of what a sports car can do.

1 Like

Came up on a C-8 on the freeway. Thought it was a Ferrari or some other euro boy-racer until I got close enough to see the logo. Used to be one could recognize a Corvette profile and sound running through the gears from miles away. A sad state of affairs. :frowning:

1 Like

After waiting basically my entire life for a mid engine Corvette, I won’t be buying one for this one reason. I don’t care how many milliseconds it takes for the transmission to change gears. That’s for car magazine tests and racetracks. I care how involving, and yes, how much fun the car is to drive, and giving up the shifting to a computer is not fun. We could give up steering and braking too. Why not? Think about how much faster around a track it would be then!

So when I should be ordering a Corvette, Ford got my money instead.

6 Likes

Advancing transmission technology? Wow. There is a reason why so many Porsche drivers walk away from Corvettes with a smirk on their faces.

1 Like

Yes the “auto stick” is faster but, as an ex GM engineering manager, the other major reason is emissions. In a manual there is a spike at every shift point that can’t be controlled. We bought the first Tiptroinc’s in both a Porsche and an M3. They were bluntly awful but the hand writing was on the wall. Everyone in GM powertrain knew 20 years ago that the manual was doomed. As bad as it is I still like rowing the CR M21 in my 69 L78 Camaro, not sorry tree huggers.

4 Likes

jbarone01: faster? who cares. Both are FAST; no; REALLY FAST; but the driving experience is so much better with the stick shift. So much more involving. I see the all-automatic car trend as parting of the dumbing down of America.

4 Likes

I understand the superiority and functionality reasons but the engineers seemed to forget one important fact.
Shifting is FUN!
That’s why we drive.

5 Likes

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the automatic, and it’s definitely faster, plus has those nifty paddles that work quite well. Some folks simply like manual transmissions and anything else is insufficient. Yes, it would be enough to keep me from buying the car if I were in the market. (That’s code for “If I had that much to spend on an impractical car!” :smiley: )

2 Likes

@bettyemae: Porsche is also all about paddle-shift DCT automatics. I’m in the market for a nice 991 Carrera S (2013-2019 Porsche 911) and finding one with a manual transmission is difficult; they’re almost all automatics. aaaaargh!!

Glad to see Corvette has joined the 21st century!
I rowed my cars thru the gears for decades until purchasing a brand new GTI Autobahn Edition in 2012. I fell in love with the DSG. By the way, it came with launch control. Back then I believe GTI and Lambo were the only ones offering. Seems legit since VW owns Lamborghini.
Love the style of the C8. Finally seems to be world class!

1 Like

Sherman used to be cool. A few years ago I remember a great piece on how to “heel and toe.”

I’m in the market for a self driving car with a manual transmission. When will they be available?

2 Likes

Purely a beancounter decision. Chevrolet sold 9700 vettes in 2018 and 20% of that is 1940. That is a lot of money to lose. They are hoping for a good percentage of the 20% to buy anyway. That is why this article was published. .

I never dis anyone’s rid but my preference is no stick, no buy. Period. As my wife said, what is the point of a sports car if you can’t row the gears. It is a visceral and unique experience that you don’t get pushing buttons. Down the road I will bet there will be a stick.

I hope.

2 Likes

Just trying to explain away a major sin that they know is going to turn a lot of potential buyers away. How many owners actually take their cars to the track? It’s like buying an SUV to go off roading.

3 Likes