Hagerty.com

Why you need to buy a Porsche 924 now

You need to buy a Porsche 924 this week. Yes, a 924, the car that 9 out of 10 Porsche geeks will immediately finger as the worst Porsche of all time. The fact of the matter is, the 924 is actually not crap. Far from it. And in a sure sign of the end times, prices are starting to rise. Having recently spent three days and 2,000 miles in a 924 purchased for less than $2,000 on Craigslist, I’m a reasonable authority on the merits of this, the most unloved of Porsches.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/10/26/buy-a-porsche-924-now

Thank heavens! I have a wonderful 924S that I have been harboring unused in the back of my garage. It is clean, low ,mileage, nice paint, new Michelins…quiet, tight…a wonderful car. Except for years everyone has looked at it and treated it as if it were their ugly red headed stepchild. I have been clinging to the car in hopes it would at some point be appreciated, and not for the $$$ necessarily, but because I really LIKE the car. I had a Porsche 912 when it suffered from the same dislike, or lack of appreciation. I sold it because no one seemed to want it and I had a chance to make a profit. I sold it for $10K at the time. They have doubled and tripled for similar Targa’s in similar very nice shape. I liked that car as well, but thought I was the only one on the planet. I took this 924S in trade about 5 years ago, and I own it cheap. I didn’t want to sell it for the few thousand dollars it would have been a challenge to get at the time. It was a better car than that and I still suffer from sellers remorse with the 912. So, I am with you in your appreciation. A really solid, usable, likable car. Thanks for noticing. Best regards, Rick, Skowhegan Maine.

Great article and I totally agree with the idea that the 924 is a great driving, fun car. About 8 years ago I saw a Craigslist ad
in Denver for a 77 Martini Ed. 924 for sale. I decided to drive the 50 miles from Co. Springs to photograph it. I had a Porsche
history book that had a large colored picture of that car and I always loved the look and lines of it. After seeing it I was so impressed I bought it. It was to be just a cool car to drive until I found the Corvette I had been searching for. About a month later I found and purchased a ZR-1, but in that time I enjoyed the Porsche so much that I kept it. Now whenever I do car shows, the 924 generates far more interest than the Vette, yet it cost me far less. It’s just a different kind of fun driving experience and has that great old school sports car look. I’m glad that others are starting to recognize that. Thanks for the article. Gary, Colorado Springs, CO.

I have owned both a regular 924 (1979) and a 924S (1988). This article should have clarified to 924 newbies that the difference between a 924 and a 924S is night and day. The “S” having the 944 engine in place of the Audi power plant plus power steering makes for a completely different driving experience. I said different, not necessarily better, The regular 924 has a solid, glued to the road feel, with tight accurate steering. The “S” is a much lighter experience that seems to float a bit on the road. However, when comparing engines, the regular’s Audi is quite noisy and rattly, especially at idle, while the “S’s” Porsche is smoother and stronger. Given a choice, now with hindsight, I would prefer a regular 924 over the “S”.

I was a rising senior in college when I received my July 1976 copy of Road & Track, featuring the cover article shootout between a Datsun 280Z, an Alfetta GT, and a new car - the Porsche 924. One look at the 924 and it was love at first sight. And like all great first loves, it still is today.

Upon graduation I went to work for a bank, where I had no money, but lots of credit. Naturally I bought a brand new silver/black 924. Owning the car took all of my earnings, but I didn’t care. I loved every minute together.

Two years later, my job required I relocate outside the country and I had to sell my beloved 924. Fast forward almost thirty years and I began to look for another 1977 silver/black 924. It was heart breaking. The 924 had become the cheap Porsche and was the “beater” driven by people who could not afford the upkeep. Finally I did find a pristine example, for which the sellers “were hoping to get $4,000”. At that price, there was no need to haggle. It cost me almost $2,000 just to ship it from California to Virginia!

The lines of the 924 are as beautiful today as they were 40 years ago. The cockpit is spacious and well designed, the glass hatchback holds plenty of cargo, and it is a joy to drive. It is not a racetrack car, but it is a Porsche that you can enjoy driving everyday.

The 924 is finally receiving the credit and attention it deserves. I agree with the writer - buy one quickly while you can. There are not many good examples out there.

Interesting article, but not supported at all by Hagerty’s own valuation tools. The January 2018 numbers show #3 Good, probably the majority out there, values flat since September 2015.

@johno8 - That’s true, but the #1 and #2 conditions rising typically mark the beginning of a rise for a given year/make/model combination. While #3 condition vehicles haven’t caught up yet, we think the appreciation has begun and they are soon to start to rise.

Interesting hypothesis! Unsure if these numbers support, but let’s see!

I don’t know about the 924. Back in 81 shortly after getting a real job out of college I test drove the 924, 280zx, RX7 and even a TR8. I liked the looks at the time and at that age would have been pretty stoked to say I was driving a Porsche. But after comparisons, IMO, the 924 ended up as simply more money for less car.

I agree that the later 924S versions are light years ahead of the early cars. The early ones will be special for the age and some of the 70’s character (plaids, etc.) but the later 924S are way better drivers.

I hear you, I own an 88 924S-SE an 87 924S and recently a 77 924 along with a 911. Yes theRe is a difference in HP, some refinements especially in the smooth running Porsche motor with its Mitsubishi designed balance shaft to absorb vibration. But if you are a true 924 fan then you appreciate the evolution and enjoy the 1st Gen for what it is. They are all 924s in my book because the 924 evolved all the way up to the 968. It may be called a 968 but to Porsche it’s still a 924 grown up.

Congratulations, you wrote yet another slam piece on the 924. Clearly this is a car you know nothing about, nor do you have any interest or passion for, so why did you even bother? Seriously? You bought a 924, drove it like an amateur for 3 days, put the poorest level of octane in the tank and yet couldn’t understand why it couldn’t perform… 7 Paragraphs slamming the car and not a single piece of actual history discussed. I’m actually quite disgusted by this article… Do better or give the opportunity to someone else.

I own a 924. I live in Seattle as well. I am a Hagerty customer, I expected better.

Glad to see this pro-924 article. I wrote an article that compared the 924 to the Ford Mustang (seriously!) which appeared on the Wheel Scene website in 2015. I still have my '78 4-speed that I wrote about then, which I think is a great car - and indeed, there are not many good examples left on the road. I had an '82 as a daily driver before that, and never had any major problems with it. Sure, it’s slow, but it’s light and it handles well. And with pretty much no power anything, it has the fun factor of a go-kart; compared to newer and/or fancier sports cars, you just feel connected to the road.

Keep on believing, 924 fans. Maybe our day will come!

@thomasjoseph315
Just ran across your post. I didn’t read this as a slam piece on the 924. On the contrary I thought it was somewhat generous. The 924 offered nothing unique and always struck me as simply Porsche’s offering in an entry level segment that included (IMO) better choices. As I mentioned in an earlier post I was initially drawn by the Porsche name but ended up underwhelmed by the performance, especially given (in most cases) it’s higher price. I also remember a car magazine comparison of the time agreeing with my assessment by writing something to the effect “you buy the Porsche (only) to impress your neighbors”.
I also note you’re apparently still pouting as you haven’t been back on the forum since posting in this thread. Hopefully you’re at least spending more satisfying time on the PCA forums…where I’m certain your expectations are met. But since few of us have chosen cars with universal appeal, that’s a shame.

Nothing unique? 1st Tans-axle, 1st Front engine, 1st water cooled Porsche, yep nothing unique here,… The cars that spawned off the 928, 944, 968 and all the Turbo variants that lead to the 951 being pulled from competition because it out performed the 911,… yup nothing unique there.

Jim, you clearly are a snob. Maybe YOU only buy a Porsche to impress your neighbors. I buy Porsche because of the Engineering of which you know nothing about.

As per why I haven’t been on these forums, that’s because I’m out actually enjoying the car(s) rather than talking garbage about them.

My 924 will rip your 9(whatever) to shreds, come to NY and lets go a few laps at Watkins Glen.

There are 2 types of Porsche owners,… Ones that know/drive/wrench on their cars, and the others who think their special for owning the cars. I’m sure your happy with you’re leather driving gloves.

@thomasjoseph315

:kissing_heart:
*Hardly the 1st transaxle, hell even Pontiac was doing that in the 60’s. If your first discovery of it was with your Porsche then it’s time to move out of your parent’s basement. And at least some of it’s competitors were achieving 50/50 without it.

*First front Engine? First water cooled? Uh, yeah. I guess…if you’re a Porsche sycophant that would mean something. But I was looking for performance.

*Reading comprehension isn’t your strength Thomas. I don’t currently own a Porsche of any flavor. Does that still make me a snob? The ones capable of the performance I want I can’t afford. The others have better alternatives IMO. Calling people names and making claims that you’ll “rip” they’re car sounds adolescent. Properly driven, with the right suspension and tires I’m sure it’s a decent momentum car on the track. But relatively slow on the street. And again, IMO there were other alternatives in those days for about 30% less from the dealer…and I wasn’t looking to impress the neighbors.

*I absolutely agree that “there are 2 types of Porsche owners,… Ones that know/drive/wrench on their cars, and the others who think their special for owning the cars” And I’m sure there’s a tech school close to you to get started. You’re never too old Thomas.

*No, you haven’t been back because you were pouting over the article. I initially thought that was a shame since we all have different tastes and look for different things in the cars we get. In your case I stand corrected. You just go ahead and pout all you want.

Oh I get it now,… you’re just poor. And have no idea what you’re talking about. Good day then.

@thomasjoseph315
LOL…yep, poor as church mouse. And good day to you! :kissing_heart: