Hagerty.com

Why you shouldn’t write off the first-generation Corvette

When the first Corvette debuted in New York City at the GM Motorama on January 17, 1953, the public fell head-over-heels for its beauty. The broad, sleek fiberglass body exuded confidence, and the overall design was more robust than other popular sports cars of its time, such as the Triumph TR2 and Austin-Healey 100. The car was fast, stylish, and exceptionally American.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/12/why-you-shouldnt-write-off-first-generation-corvette

If they re-issued each distinct body style of Corvette on the C7 platform they would all sell today.

I don’t think the 53 look would be the lowest seller, especially if they didn’t limit colour options.

Myself, I’d probably go for one of the quad headlight ones in a re-issue. Black with red interior. No cove trim or colour.

I don’t think there’d be any line for the C4s, but I’d sure love one of those '61s-what a beauty of a car!

@pepperalls - Main (and possibly only) issue I see there is the proportions. The C7 is 7 inches longer than the C1, for example. I am sure it could be done, but would be tough to do it without looking goofy.

1 Like

Fair point. Can’t be a goofy caricature for the concept to work. Dodge has proven with the newer Challengers that you can re-scale (smaller) something successfully, though not sure a 17% larger C1 is better unless you really needed that legroom…

The c4 frame design (for example) is relatively straightforward to lengthen or shorten. c7 at a glance looks way more complicated, but I think engineers could do it!

1 Like