Hagerty.com

You can score these 6 convertibles for under $20,000

If you haven’t bought a convertible this year, it’s not too late. No need to wait until October, either, when people decide to sell to avoid the winter storage fees. There are plenty of convertible owners who are looking to sell right now.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/07/10/6-great-convertibles-for-under-20k

These are all nice but how about 1989/90/91 Chrysler TC by Maserati. Very few made, a ton of fun to drive and well under 20K?

And Datsun roadster 1965-1970. Total production less than 50,000 all years. This is what Bob Sharp used to drive before the 240z. The push rod engine and side drafts carbs will seem very familiar to fans of British motors. Very easy to work on.

Almost every year Ford Galaxie convertible can be bought for under $20,000 in number 3 condition. And the full sized Ford was available with the Galaxie badge from 1959 to 1972 in convertible offerings. And every year is pretty cool with the top down.

Never was a Ford guy until a customer wanted to safety a 67 Galaxie Convertible,needed lots of work and sold it to 4 of us at the shop(and a good home) for $1800CD,I bought my buddy’s out for the same price and been having fun ever since…rebuilt 390 with bigger is better parts,trans,4:11 posi tires,whls and seats,got it down to 14.1 in the 1/4 mile…gonna break 14s this yr I hope…think I have less than 10gs in to it doing the work myself…so don’t give up…it can be done…cheers from the Great White North;)

What about Buick Centurions. They only had a 3-year production run. (1971, 1972, and 1973) In August last year I bought mine for $5,000. Only 2,396 convertibles were produced in 1972, and I think similar numbers were produced in 1971 and 1973. I recently saw a 1971 Centurion convertible for sale at a car show in Massachusetts for $9,500. All of these beauties have 455 big block engines as well. Thus, you get a beautiful ride, rarity, and muscle-car power all in one package.

My car has less than 100,000 miles on it and the engine is easy to maintain, although you will have to look for parts sometimes. Gas mileage is about 12-15 miles per gallon on the highway, and maybe 8-10 miles per gallon in town. I find it works better on premium gas, as well.

Fiat Spider (classic pre 85)
Benz 560SL
MGB

There is my vote :slight_smile:

Love the old Galaxy 500s! My Dad had a '67 (hard top) back in the day. Don’t see many of them at the shows in my area, but they were/are great cars.

You can buy the best Cadillac Allante in the world for $20K. They are GREAT cars, but the restrained styling combined with a plehora of anal retentive owners that kept them in perfect shape and are now aging ensures they will stay cheap. I have had 3 of them including 1 purchased new. There is NOTHING in the market that is a better deal than an Allante. The 90-92 cars have Recaro seats with high quality leather. The 93 has the Northstar engine, but they no longer command a premium as people realize they have a much cheaper interior and lost the fantastic Bosch TEVES brake system as owners could not be counted upon to change the fluid, causing failures. The owners’ club is a wealth of info and all of the “quirks” have well researched solutions. It’s a great, high quality car available for a price less than or equal to any of these cheap beer can recommendations.

1983 Mustang GLX. You can score one for under $5000.00 and they are a blast!

I just picked up this for under 5K. 1997 SL320. Good performance and economy, and easy to service.SL320%20Side_

What about 1990 Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet…great car!

Way to go Gene, buy three cars with well-documented brake and convertible top problems. Blame the low price of the cars on “anal retentive owners that kept them in perfect shape”, and then blame the brake failures on those same owners who “couldn’t be counted upon to change the brake fluids” causing all of the failures. Then to top it off, you call everyone elses’ recommendations “beer cans”. Good job! You got a chuckle from me.

The SL 320 just recommended is not a beer can, nor the SL 560 mentioned earlier. I stand by my comments regarding the rest, having owned some of them.

1968 Jaguar E-Type, S1.5. The picture says it all.

So you’ll sell me that e-type for less than $20k?

I can’t believe you didn’t include…

As far as modern classics go, the BMW E46 M3 is a fantastic value right now. Take your pick from 10-20k with your choice of colors and SMG or 6 speed traditional-manual. 333HP and terrific mileage, sounds, and driving pleasure.

Yes some finding a good '67, '68, '69 Firebird for less than $20k? It’s not going to be that nice. Derivable yes. But very far from perfect or anything approaching collectible quality. $20k is quite a bit of money for an old American car. Trying to make it close to original with no rust and and new paint along with perfect running engine ect could easily cost another $20 to $25k. I think it’s best to pay closer to $30k and get one that will have some real potential investment possibility. Trying to get one under $20k and doing the work would cost so much more than buying one already done. What seems like a bargain in an old car may end up being from from it. $20k is way too much for money to invest in a fixer. Most desirable collectible cars under $20k are most likely a fixer.

Almost any of the AMC convertibles (Ramblers, mostly) will be a great driver under $20K. They aren’t good investment cars as value doesn’t go up as much as more popular makes, but for a driver it’s hard to beat the value. Beware of restored cars, as it can be costly to totally restore to near 100% factory condition due to scarcity of some parts. Subject one to a detailed resto and you will quickly have more in it than you will ever get out. Parts are limited to 3-4 well known (in the AMC community) sources, you can’t just order parts from anywhere! That turns a lot of people off AMC/Rambler cars. They are rather rugged and simple in most respects though, like most 60s cars, and there is the “I haven’t seen one of those in years!” effect that is gratifying. My 63 Rambler wagon got more attention than my brother 65 Mustang coupe when we went to a show together once. He wasn’t real happy about that!

Why no mention of the ASC McLaren Mustang conversions from the 80s? Reshaped and very attractive rear body mods, 2 seater with 3 window top that folds under a rigid tonneau. They sport a 302 HO, 225hp with a limited slip rear and true dual exhaust; 2" lowered suspension developed by McLaren of F1 fame. Fast, great handling and reliable, there were a total of about 1800 made from the mid eighties to '90 in a Ford sponsored program with cars sold in Ford dealerships.
A #3 can easily be found in the under 20k range.