Hagerty.com

You now can buy a brand-new old Boss Mustang or Mach 1

Classic Recreations has been recreating Shelby Mustangs for years. The coachbuilder is known for its modernized versions of first-gen Shelby GT350s, as well as 1967 and ’68 Shelby GT500s. Most wear Eleanor bodywork, and the GT500CR 900S packs 790 horsepower from 427 cubic inches and a Procharger F1-R supercharger. Each build is fully documented, licensed by Ford, and included in the Shelby Worldwide Registry.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/04/24/buy-a-brand-new-old-boss-mustang

Ok, clearly the market for these cars are the old guys like myself…but do they think we have rocks in our heads? $200K for a Mustang throwback? Yeah, that is a hard pass for me. There really is absolutely no justification for such pricing. I may be wrong, but I see this as a big flop as only very few people with more money than brains will drop $200K on a Mustang they’ve already had as a kid at $4K…just my two cents.

I also read it and was thinking cool deal, till I saw the $ and thought :thought_balloon: Well that isn’t happening, way too much…

I have to agree on the pricing issue. Too much. The whole restomod market has gotten rather pricey lately. Not sure what is driving it so high. Oh well, most of us will just have to dream of owning cars like these.

The licensed body with doors and trunk lid run $20k. You can purchase every other part brand new including fasteners. I have actually given a lot of thought to building and registering it as a kit car. Getting a rotted out parts car would help with costs.
It would be a shame to remove shock towers to install the conversion to standard a arm suspension with rack and pinion given the entire chassis/body is brand new, but, it would be a kit car, no need to retain that suspension/steering system.
Doing the labour yourself would save about $150/hour off the cost they are quoting.

The prices they are quoting restrict the sales to only the ones with a large discretionary budget.

I’ll be the first to say that I am not surprised by the pricing and also don’t think there is anything wrong with it. Any shop that charges $75 per hour on a rotisserie restoration on any muscle car era car will take 1500 hours for labor then add parts and materials and you easily hit $169,000 or more. Who is commissioning cars built? Consider this. When a baby boomer that retires has to take a minimum distribution from their retirement fund of $15,000 a month and a couple only needs $3000 a month to live on, they are depositing $12,000/month in a savings account. Soon they have done their traveling, lavished the grand-kids, and remodeled the house and there is still a pile of money sitting in the savings account. Then they see an old car, it doesn’t matter what the car is, at a gas station or at the mall, they get an itch and want to relive being newlyweds again so they commission a shop to build them a car and the car cost $200,000 as a resto-mod like these 69-70 Mustangs. I’m sorry about what it costs but custom car shops are like any other business, they work to make a living and instead of roofing, excavating, construction, or concrete work, their labor is spent on cars. And if not for car builders, there would not be things in the aftermarket like brakes, suspension parts, and high end paint. Car builders are the ones to innovate with the manufacturing companies to solve their problems with building a car and they introduce the new products to the rest of us. Companies just don’t make parts and hope that someone buys them, it all starts with developing parts to fill a need a car builder presents to them. Good food for thought.

I don’t know about you guys but I know the retirement ferry isn’t leaving anywhere near 15k a month How under my pillow…just say in.

It would be if you’re a retired resto car builder!

@doug - You are right, doing the build yourself can certainly save a lot of coin. However the fit and finish of car like this are something to behold, and likely difficult for the average hobbyist to achieve.

Even building it yourself, the parts bill alone adds up quite quickly to a shocking number. Using a parts car like you mention would certainly keep that in check though.

@zander4 - These are a “throwback” but the underpinnings are thoroughly modern. Modern performance in a classic looking package typically comes at a cost.

For 100 grand, I would buy a late model C2 big block and have lots of cash to spare. For 200 grand I would find a good used Ferrari.

I wounder if it has recline seats so that I could also sleep in it ?

And I can’t even find a 70 rim blow wheel for mine…

These cars are so well known as they are famous. They night even appreciate in value overtime. I guess they are enough guys on bringatrailer who could easily spend that amount of money if they desired to do so. And how about Jay Leno ?

I suppose if you had 4 or 5 Million in your IRA you could swing a $15k MRD.

If you can’t turn a wrench, stay out of the old car hobby. New front end, four wheel discs, four speed automatic, air conditioning and a crate engine could be had for a heck of a lot less than 200K.

If I had $200 grand to drop on a car - ANY CAR - I wouldn’t.

OK… $200K for a Boss 9 IS a bit ridiculous, but then again…
Me wonders what kind of HP the “modern” Boss 9 motor is churning out?

Hopefully they are using the John Kaase heads??? John is able to turn somewhere in the neighborhood of 800HP at the flywheel with a SINGLE CARBURETOR with his modern version of the Boss 9 motor! With fuel injection on this beast, can they do better???
I don’t know about you-all, but 800HP is a VERY NICE neighborhood!

They just sold a mint car at action, acording to Haggarty, for just over $400,000. I think the guy that bought it was a mental patient.

LoL…
Amen Skip, or maybe just way, WAY more $$$ than brains…?