Hagerty.com

Your definitive 1968–70 Dodge Charger buyer’s guide

Few classic muscle cars have lived as large in the public eye as the second-generation Dodge Charger. Mythologized by the baddies in Bullitt, and then popularized by a pair of cousins never meanin’ no harm in Hazzard County, the wicked wedge shape of Chargers built from 1968–70 have become instantly recognizable shorthand for cool, fast, and ferocious.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/06/13/definitive-1968-70-dodge-charger-buyers-guide

I am so tired of reading articles written by people who claim to be experts in the old car hobby and really don’t know what they are talking about. They tend to use the word motor when they are talking about gasoline consuming devices of significant power. A motor is an electrically driven device used to power windows, seats, fans and windshield wipers. A device that converts any fuel to rotational power is an engine!! It is like hearing the same “experts” calling a convertible a roadster. A roadster is a car with a retractable top and two seats that does not have roll up windows in the doors. For instance Jaguar never built an XKE roadster. Corvette convertibles after 1955 were not roadsters! Please forgive me for railing on but someone needs to correct these people. Apparently I have been selected to do it.

I had a 1969 Charger R/T-SE.

The turn signal indicators were NOT mounted on the fenders. They were mounted in the depressions in the hood, aka, the fake vents.

The SE package also included a wood-grain overlay on the dash, a lighting group, and a couple of other trinkets.

The only parts of the seats that were covered with “leather” (and it was horrible stuff!) were the seating surfaces on the front buckets -ONLY-. All other parts of the seat covers were vinyl.

I see these types of mistakes made all the time by people writing articles like this. I suggest the authors find some Old Guys who lived then, saw the cars, owned the cars, and know the cars.

It’s very upsetting to see these errors get propagated.

“Definitive…buyer’s guide” sure sets some lofty expectations. People will refer to the article as a basis for actually buying such a vehicle. Too bad there are several mistakes, already pointed out. How about “1968-70 Charger” as a story title and leave it at that?

Mike1 writes. - “A motor is an electrically driven device used to power windows… A device that converts any fuel to rotational power is an engine!!”

Be sure to bring that up at the next shareholders meeting of General Motors :slight_smile:

Should also inform all the fans of enginesports, the publishers of Engine Trend, your local Department of Engine Vehicles, and the engining public in general.

That horse may already be out of the barn.

Like any mopar guy I love the 68 - 70 chargers. But so much focus is on these chargers that the first chargers, 66-67, are treated like a red headed stepchild. I have a 66 factory hemi charger 4 speed that I’m just finishing a complete ground up restoration on so you can say I am biased . I was shopping for a hemi charger in 1988 but the 68 and up were out of reach dollar wise. I “settled” for a 66 because it was a hemi and a 4 speed that I wanted. 30 years later, after being apart for 13 years I can’t wait to get behind the wheel. Except for body and paint, I’ve done ALL THE RESTORATION MYSELF, which really gives one a sense of accomplishment. The hemi is stock, except for balancing and blueprinting and a cam upgrade to the 68-69 more aggressive cam. My son convinced me to dyno the motor, 480hp/ 485 torque @ 5900rpm. for a stock hemi, wow! Restore ALL those chargers, 66 and up. The more you can do yourself, the more rewarding it will be for you. STEVE, 72 YRS.YOUNG!

Thanks for the correction on the turn signals - we’ve updated the aritcle.

I agree with you - the 66-67 are under-appreciated. I had considered including them here, but there are so many differences between the generations that it was beyond the scope of this guide. Hope to be able to focus on them in the near future.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl: too funny. About the engine sport bit. Actually about a month ago around April 30 a one owner Charger went up on CL out in PA. For 25K !!! The car was absolutely mint I spoke with the widow who was 80 years old. Told me she brought the car new with her husband when they were in California. And he passed 10 years ago. Of course I missed out on buying it I found it when it was only posted for less than 7 hrs. imageimage

Those older Chargers are great, whether they come with a motor or an engine! Just a small point to Mike’s reply, the owners of Jaguar XKEs do not refer to their cars as “convertibles”. That model is referred to as an OTS (open two-seater).

Liked the 68-70 Charger article. I ordered my 69 in April of 1969 and drove her home on June 2. Not a lot of options, 383-4, Torqueflite (best trans anyone ever made), console, manual steering and brakes. I actually bought her from a Chrysler-Plymouth dealer where my dad worked. The car now has over 200,000 miles with the original engine and trans (both rebuilt around 180.000) and rear end (never touched). The car has never been babied, driven like it was meant to be. Think I’ll keep her awhile and see if I like her.

I’m restoring my '67 charger. It is white with a navy blue interior, torqueflite, 383 4bbl, 4:11 gears, '67 only fender-mounted turn signals, and it is all original. I bought it from the original owner in 2016. I already have the interior stripped, trans out, door handles off, and engine pulled. I’m still in school and I bought it and am building it with money from part time jobs.