Hagerty.com

Your definitive Mazda RX-7 FD buyers guide

The third-generation Mazda RX-7—also known by its internal designation FD or FD3S—is one of the most arrestingly beautiful shapes to have ever escaped a Japanese design studio. When it went on sale in the early ’90s, its flowing lines stood in stark contrast not just to the more boxy wedge offered by the previous version of the car, but also the more aggressively linear look of rivals like the Acura NSX and the Mitsubishi 3000GT.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/05/08/fd-mazda-rx-7-buyers-guide

Very well-written and comprehensive article, and I thank Mr. Hunting for including a couple of quotes from me. I would note that our 1994 “PEG” Chaste White, bought new as stated, had (and still has) no rear wing. Our car went 113K miles before requiring a new engine, due to a coolant seal leak allowing combustion products to leak into the cooling system. Overall we have found this car to be a pleasure to own and drive.

This is perhaps the best article written yet on the FD. It’s good to see people talking about these cars as being able to be fairly reliable if well-maintained and it really goes into the things that need to be done to keep these running well over time. In particular the focus on making sure you have non-synthetic oils going into the combustion chamber. Also good to see Hagerty more or less blessing cars that have “reliability modifications” as acceptable in the context of buying stock unmolested cars. The community has long identified these as being necessary to the long term well-being of the FD.

My silver FD has not been driven much. It now has 3300 miles on it. I bought it new in Quincy, Ma. back in 1994. I wanted red leather, but settled on black. It has a steel sunroof. It’s time for me to start parting ways with my toys because I either look silly driving them or in the case of my Ducati 1199r, they are just too fast for me. I got warnings last summer in NH by NH State Troopers. It’s time for me to start acting my age. I’m glad to see the price on a rare example is in the mid 30’s. I’m looking to get mine sold for $38K. Anyone would be hard pressed to find one that has been stored inside with only 3300 miles on it.

Some useful and helpful information? …absolutely. And the attention theses cars are getting is welcome. But “definitive” is an over-reach IMO. Interesting that with some well respected U.S. based rotary shops the article cites opinions from a Canadian shop which aren’t universally shared by many of us long-term owners and other shops. I recommend anyone considering one of these cars also look for the buyer’s guides available in forums like rx7club.com.

And @fredwhyzer you have my sympathy. You’ve owned your car for a quarter-century and haven’t REALLY enjoyed it. It’s quite possible I’m older than you and I do act my age. Our time here is relatively short. These days I don’t buy cars for garage trophies or investment… but to drive and enjoy them.